1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fur identification--possibly sheared?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by vivavintageclothing, Sep 23, 2020.

1. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Hi folks! I'm hoping some of you who are better at identifying fur will be able to help me out with this circa 1950s fur wrap. It looks to me like it may have been sheared, which is probably why I am confused by it! :) Also, it appears that it may be somewhat curly, when not sheared...Could it be lamb? There is a bit of color variation that appears to be natural. Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated!
    C159-brown fur capelet stole 1950s evening wrap - 01.jpg C159-brown fur capelet stole 1950s evening wrap - 07.jpg C159-brown fur capelet stole 1950s evening wrap - 08.jpg C159-brown fur capelet stole 1950s evening wrap - 02.jpg C159-brown fur capelet stole 1950s evening wrap - 03.jpg C159-brown fur capelet stole 1950s evening wrap - 10.jpg

Attached Files:

2. vivavintageclothing

Yours does look like lamb, to me anyway. :)

bOld Fashioned likes this.
  3. The brown is sheered caracul. I had 2 1930s coats and scarves very similar.

I cannot find any example online since most are labeled incorrectly.
    Mine were a tan peach color and had the original tags.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    vivavintageclothing likes this.
  4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

The moire effect says karakul to me too! Unusual and lovely piece...

vivavintageclothing likes this.
  5. vivavintageclothing

Thank you for the info—that is so helpful! :)