1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fur identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I hope the fur experts can weigh in. I know this is lamb but what is the collar made of? Is it beaver or squirrel or something else?

Thank you

Victoria
    92336027-E94F-47F1-952A-C2BD4FEAD4E5.jpeg 285F9C67-971A-41E8-9E76-C4649D4E29FF.jpeg 213D1740-C390-4697-B61F-1E0D83F536FA.jpeg

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Victoria, It’s hard for me to tell for sure but it’s like faux fur. Can you tell if there is skin or leather backing?

3. Vintagiality

I am almost certain it’s not faux fur. The hair is shiny on the surface but once I push it apart it gets thinner and softer. I think I also see the leather backing.
    33072A00-F1BE-4765-9363-122398F12142.jpeg 9494AFF6-9847-4D8D-9A0A-65146F221D43.jpeg

4. peaceful vintage

That’s skin alright. What does the texture feel like?

Vintagiality likes this.
  5. Vintagiality

It's extremely soft unlike some of the more "wirey" furs. It honestly feels like mink but the color seems off

peaceful vintage likes this.
  6. peaceful vintage

Thank you. It’s dyed rabbit.

kainda and Vintagiality like this.
  7. Vintagiality

Thank you Caryn! I thought rabbit hair is normally shorter but clearly there must be longer haired rabbits out there :)

8. peaceful vintage

Oh yeah. It’s not always really about the length. Sometimes it’s about the density. People can mistake rabbit for mink when there’s low density and it lays flat and sometimes for fox when the density is high as there is more fur per square inch. The pile is then more full and the fur feels longer.