1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fur stole - 40's or 50's? Help with identity please?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Caroline B, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Caroline B

Caroline B Registered Guest

Fur stole 2 (2).jpg Fur stole 1 (2).jpg Fur stole 6 (2).jpg Hi, I have this beautiful stole, bought in a thrift shop quite a few years ago in England, which I have worn on a few occasions. I think it has the most beautiful glamorous shape, padded shoulders, lower cape shaped back. If anyone could help identify the fur I would really appreciate it, and also the era? Maybe the 40's? or later? Thanks so much.

2. Caroline B

Having investigated further I think it may be brown ermine, and from the 40's? Would love to know what others think?

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would agree with 1940s. It looks like Russian Squirrel to me.

4. Caroline B

Thanks Mary Jane, do you think that Russian Squirrel is normally "wider" and also has contrasting colors? Do you know anyway to tell the difference between RS and Brown Ermine? Hope I am not putting the cat amongst the pigeons!! It's like being a private detective! :)

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I honestly don't know. The Russian squirrel pieces I have had in the past never had contrasting coloring. It was super smooth and soft though.