1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fur Storage Question - Cardboard Boxes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Monique22, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Monique22

Monique22 Registered Guest

Hi!

I do not have more closet space to hang fur coats freely and I was wondering if it is safe to store fur coats and other small fur pieces (stoles, trims, etc) just folded in card boxes.

Has anyone do this? Any tips and recommendations are received.

Thanks!

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there, it’s always best to store your furs in a cool spacious area away from light. I would not recommend cardboard boxes as it might be cramped, too much moisture might get in, and air needed might not circulate properly.

Air helps keep the skin soft and pliable, and along with other proper care prevents it from cracking, and the fur from falling out.

There are storage drawer units without lids that are okay or that aren’t fully closed, and there are accessory racks that can be used safely to store collars, gloves, hats, and accessories with fur on them.

Fur coats and stoles should have room to hang in the closet or be stored on a rack where they can hang.

When possible you want to fold furs as little as possible, allow space so there is nothing pressing on the fur or skins, keep away from moisture, and keep away from over exposure to artificial light which can cause oxidation and color change.

3. Monique22

Monique22 Registered Guest

Thank you so much! so helpful.