Game #9 Guess the Fabric Content Round 8 Bonnie Wins!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG 15th Year Anniversary Celebration!' started by Furwise, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Furwise

Furwise Administrator Staff Member

Game #9 Guess the Fabric Content Round 8

The one who guesses the most fabrics correctly by the end of the month will win $10 credited to their PayPal account.

fullsizeoutput_2f7b.jpeg

2. cotton

Furwise likes this.
  3. INVINTAGEV

INVINTAGEV Trade Member

Nylon jersey

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Furwise likes this.
  4. Circa Vintage

Circa Vintage Trade Member

Polyester.

Furwise likes this.
  5. Nancylou

Nancylou Registered Guest

Nylon

Furwise likes this.
  6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

7. Linn

Linn Trade Member

Ban-lon

Furwise likes this.
  8. denisebrain

denisebrain Trade Member

Silk surah

Furwise likes this.
  9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Trade Member

10. artizania

artizania Alumni +

Silk

Furwise likes this.
  11. Furwise

I knew this one was gonna throw you a loop. When's the last time you've had a cotton satin blend?

IMG_8678.JPG

12. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix Trade Member

Good one. But what is it blended with? I cannot read all of it? If it is all cotton as it infers then maybe Bonnie should be the winner?

Or do we need to give both the fiber, and the weave?

Furwise likes this.
  13. Furwise

The fabric content is Supima's Everfast woven cotton satin blend.

Maggie had said something close too guessing silk surrah; silk and cotton.

IMG_8699.PNG

14. Linn

Linn Trade Member

I agree with Barbara. From what I can read in the ad copy above, Everfast was made from "Supima, the extra long- staple fibre grown in "our own Southeast" - in other words cotton. You don't see a lot of cotton satin today. Cotton sateen is far more common - particularly in sheeting.

Cotton satin and/or cotton sateen are not blends.. Cotton is the fiber and satin (or sateen) is the weave. A blend contains more than one type of fiber.

Furwise likes this.
  15. Furwise

This is actually quite deceptive because it said it was cotton satin.
    They could have called their satin Supima woven that was woven cotton which together would have been a woven blend of both.

Upon understanding that it is NOT really satin as stated that DOES make Bonnie our winner. Congrats!

Thank you Barbara and Linn for recognizing that and sharing your knowledge.

The term cotton satin alone without the actual content would not be allowed today due to the fair products labeling act.

16. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix Trade Member

Caryn,

Sorry to disagree, but the ad is not at all deceptive. The fabric IS most certainly satin. It is satin and the fiber content is 100% cotton. This is not a blend. It does not violate any labeling laws. While cotton satin is not common today, it was a popular fabric at one time, and was considered a bit luxurious.

As Linn stated, Supima is a trade name for one of Everfast's cottons, it is not a separate fiber.

So cotton is the fiber, Supima is name given to the particular type of cotton grown/spun/made by Everfast Textiles, and the weave is satin.

Anne Klein is the designer and I love that dress!

Yes, I think Bonnie is the winner.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  17. Furwise

I do not disagree with you Barbara. I just did not know.
    It's a teaching and learning moment and I am sure it can be to others besides me.
    At this moment I think I understand. Satin and sateen are a way the fiber is woven. The fiber could be any kind. In this case; cotton because it says cotton satin.
    Is this correct?

18. Linn

Linn Trade Member

I agree with Barbara - the dress fabric IS satin that was woven from Supima cotton. I think Everfast is the trade name of the woven fabric not the textile company. Supima cotton is still around today, by the way. It is the name of the extra long staple cotton fiber.

This time Bonnie is the winner because she guessed cotton. She did not mention or guess satin but this round asked you to guess the fiber content - and it's 100% cotton.

Just as an aside when most people "think" of or picture cotton fabric they usually picture a "plain" weave - but cotton can be woven lots of different ways.

Caryn, I think you are confusing fiber and weave here. While a lot of satin (fabric) is woven from silk it can be woven from other fibers including cotton and synthetics.

Furwise likes this.
  19. Linn

Linn Trade Member

I cross posted with you Caryn. There are three basic weaves - plain, satin and twill and a gazillion other weaves and combinations of weaves and knits, etc. that make up the many, many fabrics so very well described in the Fabric Resource.

http://vintagefashionguild.org/fabric-resource/

Furwise likes this.
  20. Furwise

This right here Linn, 100%.