Game #9 Guess the Fabric Content Round 8 Bonnie Wins!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG 15th Year Anniversary Celebration!' started by Furwise, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Oh my.....I don't want to cause a problem!!! It did look like cotton to me but don't want to cause any waves.

Furwise likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix Trade Member

Caryn,

Its an easy mistake, as cotton satin is not a fabric we come across much anymore. And yes, we are all on a learning curve and there is still much to learn!

The only waves we have here are brain waves.........:)

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

4. jazzbug

jazzbug Trade Member

Just putting my 2 cents in after the fact, but I think because it's a print really helped throw everyone off. A satin print fabric - that's something you don't see, now either.

Vinclothes and Furwise like this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix Trade Member

I wanted to compliment you, Caryn, on your choice of this dress for the game. It is unusual, and brought to light a fabric that not everyone is familiar with. In doing so, you helped all of us learn a little more. That's one of the fun things about these games....finding out new things!

6. Well said, Barbara!!! The day I stop learning will be my last. One reason I love being a member of VFG.....lots of good things posted from our members that certainly expand our knowledge of a subject matter we all hold dear in our hearts. And, wonderful members who are always so eager to share what they know with other members and our guests as well. And, here's a thanks to Caryn for hosting such great "puzzlements"!!!! I think we are all enjoying each and everyone of the games and are looking forward to the next! :)

Vinclothes, Furwise and jazzbug like this.
  7. Linn

Linn Trade Member

IMG_0551.JPG

Actually while satin and sateen look similar the weave is different. Satin can be woven from many fibers but traditionally it was woven from silk. Sateen is woven from mercerized cotton. I could not find any good photos of fabric construction online so I took this photo of a page in an early edition of "Elements of Interior Design and Decoration" by Sherrill Whiton.

I am using my iPad and cannot get the photo below the text! Sorry! The plain or taffeta weave shown above is what most people think of when they describe a garment as "cotton."

8. Furwise

Furwise Administrator Staff Member

Over the years I have learned that when someone shares information with you that is not as you thought you must be receptive and appreciative of their input or you will stop yourself from continuing to learn.

That in itself is knowing something that some others do not.