1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gantner of California cow print jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Slimewarp, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Slimewarp

Slimewarp Registered Guest

I can't seem to find any comparable pieces by Gantner & Mattern. Im guessing 1970s from the label and zipper, but not sure. Has anyone seen a similar piece from them? It looks like a lot of swim and sportswear. 20191025_170944.jpg 20191025_171904.jpg 20191025_171947.jpg 20191025_171904.jpg 20191025_172123.jpg

Attached Files:

2. LisaHird

LisaHird Registered Guest

It looks nice. I wish you to wear it on good days.
    I hope you find the pieces you want.

3. Attirelyvintage

Attirelyvintage Registered Guest

Were they (Gantner and Mattern) even around in the 70s?
    This jacket looks 50s or 60s to me. The Talon zipper would indicate this, I think there is a blog from the Vintage_Haberdashery (or something like that) that gives a brief history of the zippers and styles.

4. Slimewarp

Thanks for the help, and thank you for the label photos. I think it is more likely 50s or early 60s after more research.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. Slimewarp

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

even the size label does not look 50s or the dry clean only label. It looks vintage just not that old.

8. Like MJ, I am seeing 70s.

9. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

According to our Label Resource, Gantner and Mattern dissolved in 1950 and the Gantner label was reestablished in 1980 so it can't be '70's.

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/gantner/

I think it is early '80's. Still vintage.

Linda, the color you are seeing looks red on my monitor and close to the color of the 1950s label:

upload_2019-11-3_16-25-32.png upload_2019-11-3_16-26-26.png Label in the faux fur jacket

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Attirelyvintage likes this.
  10. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

The separate dry clean and size label are not modern, but could certainly be early 80s. While modern companies do reproduce a vintage aesthetic in their labels, they don't do those separate care and tiny size labels that were common in the 70s and 80s.

11. Slimewarp

Thanks for all that info! It is indeed a Fuchsia color on the label, not red.

12. Slimewarp

Oh, those books look amazing!

13. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Oh okay. I haven't seen that before. I still think this garment isn't modern, by these labels. There are subtle differences.

14. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

That zipper is virtually identical to Talon's 1940's zippers except the bottom corners are rounded instead of a crisp 90 degrees. The one on your jacket was used from the 1950's on, but I think your jacket would probably have a Talon 42 if it were 70's.