1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaultier jean's label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by carla rey, Sep 13, 2016.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Hi!

This one is not in the label resource and I'm trying to date it properly. I've seen some other examples in a different knit/denim variation with the same 'hand' label dated as early 90s...
    Fitted denim jacket with sewn in knit sweater sleeves. Maybe you care label symbol geniuses would know?

Thank you!
    2016-09-13 15.27.52.jpg 2016-09-13 15.28.12.jpg 2016-09-13 15.28.33.jpg 2016-09-13 15.28.59.jpg 2016-09-13 15.29.19.jpg 2016-09-13 15.29.33.jpg 2016-09-13 15.19.03.jpg

2. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Bumping this one, anyone have any thoughts? :)

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Carla, I did find this info on wikipedia about that label.

The look of the care label does look older to me, so I would agree that it was part of the earlier line.

Good label for the resource...and nice jacket!!!

carla rey likes this.
  4. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

No tumble dry on the care label places it post 1985. I think it is mid to late 1990s as I can vaguely remember wearing similar denim jackets around the later years (but I was a kid so not terribly fashion forward!).
    Bet you could narrow it down by looking up the trademark for the handprint logo.

carla rey likes this.
  6. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Thanks Melanie! I'm having a hard time finding this particular logos trademark. :puzzled:

7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Resurrecting as I believe it is a 90s denim jacket by Jean Paul Gaultier. He seems to have used the chevron design in quite a few denim pieces of this period and i have found a ink to a denim set with the same hand logo to the interior label advertised as early 90s.

[link removed please read forum rules]

Edit: Doing a little more research on this with looking at the archived catwalk pictures, will come back and update in an hour or so. I love JPG so this is a joy for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2018
  8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

The chevron styling I recognise as very early 90s JPG, there are a lot of the chevron details exampled on the catwalk here

however the jacket shape/structure does seem a little later. I found some stills from different periods on the catwalk where the denim tags are in part visible.

The first we can see the logo tape around the denim jacket tied to the waist if you zoom in, reading 'Jean Paul Gaultier Jeans' it's a 1994 catwalk still

JEAN-PAUL-GAULTIER-SPRING-1994-RTW-64.jpg

The next is a still from the 1998 catwalk and it has the black label stitched to the back of the jeans with 'Gaultier' written in white and 'Jeans' written in red.

JEAN-PAUL-GAULTIER-SPRING-1998-RTW-038.jpg

Imo it's likely to be right at the beginning of the Jean Paul Gaultier Jeans label range (which i first thought because of the chevrons in the design) or the end. So 92-94 or 99-04... unless, which is a strong possibility, there was some cross over of labels and multiple were used at one time.

Will come back if i find anything more out.

carla rey likes this.
  9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The cut doesn't look right to me for early 90s - I would expect a more mannish blazer cut, or a short, cropped jacket, or something either more fetishistically tight, or overly roomy and full through the body. The body-conscious contouring looks later 90s to me. I may be completely wrong, but JPG jeans wasn't couture - it was aimed at mall sales, so its not as cutting edge as some of his stuff.

carla rey and GemGem like this.