1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gelatine Sequins

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Joanne, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Joanne

Joanne Alumni

Can someone please tell me whether it is safe to dry clean a dress with gelatine sequins? I know it can't be washed.

2. Joanne

Joanne Alumni

Here is the dress. I am thinking 30s. Side closure with press studs. Acetate. Length is 50 inches. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

3. Joanne

Joanne Alumni

4. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I don't trust my dry cleaners, but if you have access to one that understands vintage you might want to ask them.

And WOW - that dress is AMAZING. I have my grandmother's dress from the 20s with a similar bow motif.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I could see these melting. Gorgeous dress!

I can't find a decent dry cleaner at all anymore, they can't even get a stain off a silk tie or scarf.

6. Joanne, I don't trust any cleaning method for gelatine sequins so simply air and freshen if they need it, and then when I sell just say that I haven't cleaned it and don't recommend a cleaning method. I've damaged them before. Both heat and water will dissolve them. I should ask a conservator friend how they do it: gentle vacuuming to remove dust probably.

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I have had those garments cleaned but it was a cleaners I knew could handle the job. And it was a single expert at the cleaners who convinced me she could handle it. Her method was to spot clean the dress and work very carefully around the sequins. What kills me is that this dress, my grandmother's from just before my dad was born, had been cleaned on the ranch by her and her sisters. Lord knows how they did that. Probably spot cleaned with gasoline.

What il_570xN.640346164_8oal.jpg il_570xN.640346190_hiuv.jpg

Carnivàle likes this.
  8. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Oh and the girls made this dress at home. My grandmother and her sisters passed it down. You can see the hem, waist and bustline changing. It's very sweet.

9. Joanne

Joanne Alumni

Thanks ladies, it's what I suspected. The dress is clean, but I wanted to write care instructions. And it's sleeveless, so I can't recommend underarm shields. Looks like a good deodorant and a steady drinking hand are required.

10. Joanne

Joanne Alumni

Thanks Cin, your grandmother's dress is beautiful. Maybe they used kerosene (parrafin). My dad swears by it. Great smell! (not).

11. Joanne

Joanne Alumni

My local cleaner has been OK so far, but she did tell me they don't spot clean, everything goes right in the machine, so that would be out.

12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Dry cleaning fluid WILL melt gelatin sequins so its not dry cleanable.

13. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I have seen a lovely book written for young brides about caring for their new homes and important tips... kerosene is a popular dry cleaner, yes!!

14. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

In my dress's cleaning it was not dry-cleaned but spot cleaned by the cleaners. I really needed to interrogate them more extensively because exactly HOW they cleaned my dress (it had been stored in a barn for many years) was miraculous.

15. Cin, your sequins are of different composition and fine to dry clean.

16. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Many years ago -- 1982 - 83? I had a mustard yellow crepe evening jacket from the late 1930s - early 1940s with sequins in a huge floral pattern on the lapels. It was VERY dirty and I knew I couldn't wash it because of the crepe and the gelatin sequins, so I sent it to the drycleaner. The sequins came back as little hard nubs - they had shrivelled like the Wicked Witch of the East! I think Nicole is right and your dress Cin is likely plastic sequins - the dress looks postwar to me, and plastic sequins were one of the new products then.

17. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Sounds terrible!! Poor shrivelled sequins!!

My dress was definitely pre war. The sequins were sticky to 'wet' touch which I have always taken to mean gelatin.

18. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Or maybe use canned air to dust too?

19. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member