1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Germaine Montabert

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Katee, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Katee

Katee Registered Guest

Would like information on Germaine Montabert .. her bio and history of her career. Have searched and searched online, but to no avail. Thanks for any info you can pass on.

Peace
    Katee

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I am home for only a bit before running out again, so I will add anything else I find later, but in a quick loook I learned:

-- Germaine Montabert was born in France ca. 1903-1904
    -- her husband was Swiss
    -- her maiden name appears to have been Bronner or Bromner
    -- she died in September 1961
    -- a 1961 NYT obit said five years prior to her death she retired from the millinery business that bore her name
    -- she had been a member of the Millinery Creators Guild
    -- she received the Reconnaissance Francaise Medal for welfare services to France

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found a 1940 article about her that said:

-- she came to the US when she was 11, returned to Europe to study at the University of Strasbourg, the Paris Conservatory, and the Sorbonne, then returned to the US in 1934
    -- her mother had a wholesale and retail hat business and Germaine apprenticed to her when she returned from Europe. She did "comparison shopping, cutting, pattern-making, creating, designing, and styling."
    -- at the time of the article she was specializing in hats for "women of established years"

4. Katee

Katee Registered Guest

thank you Lynne .. Ikranieri .. for this information:))