1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LousyLoversVintage

LousyLoversVintage Registered Guest

I wanted to see what others thought of its time period since I cant find anything on the internet about its tag

First guess is 70s 80s bc of the care tags

Attached Files:

2. LousyLoversVintage

Here is up close of white undershirts collar

Attached Files:

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

SO hard to date since they are based on a regional dress style that is supposed to be traditional. Labels that list fibre content usually date sometime after the early 70s, and the label style looks 70s/80s to me... maybe later, but not earlier.

LousyLoversVintage likes this.
  4. LousyLoversVintage

Thanks I really think so too. I thought the hearts were super cute so I grabbed it

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Very difficult to tell indeed. Sometimes dirndls are influenced by fashion an you can get clues from that, but this one is a particularly traditional style that changed little over the years, and the size 38 was around since the 1950s or so. What are the bust and waist measurements? German sizing did change over the years, 38 was once the smallest misses' size but not anymore as it now goes down to 34 and even 32, so measurements might be an indicator.

6. LousyLoversVintage

Hi so yes the tag reads 38 but the bust is 34 and the waist is 25 26ish

I'm trying to find conversion charts for US sizing if they exist the best I have to work with is old sewing patterns to compare 50s and 60s sizes today

7. Midge

That is fairly small for a size 38. My 1958 issue of Burda has size 38 at B34" and W26", so chances are that it is 1950s or 60s. 38 was not the smallest size anymore in the 70s and there was a shift in sizes in between those decades.

8. LousyLoversVintage

Amazing. Thank you. It looks so unworn it seems new. But that makes sense it would be earlier with the tags and Measurements for a 38. Did german made clothing usually have care symbols on tags during the late 50s and 60s?

9. Midge

Can you post a picture of the care label? I've never seen care symbols in 50s clothes... I had a late 60s mail order catalog that explained them. My guess is that they came into use some time in the 60s around here.

10. LousyLoversVintage

I will post when I get home. The care tag has no words just symbols. So it's why i thought it could be a younger dress. It has great darting very similar to 50a and 60s dresses. I am quite stumped I have even reached out to women who collect drindls and sell them on etsy but they were German and Romanian so I don't know if they could really translate what I was asking. Maybe it's late 60s

11. LousyLoversVintage

Hi again so the care tag is only on the white undershirt. That is cropped and I think its the original. Same number size 38

Attached Files:

12. Midge

You mean the blouse that came with it? The care symbols there look fine by me for what I've seen in 60s or 70s garments. I still think for 70s this size 38 is too small, unless it was a manufacturer that let their sizes run small, so I would go with 60s - but leaving that as an assumption, like I said, this is a very, very traditional style and definitely not a "fashionable" dirndl.

13. LousyLoversVintage

I've been doing some searching and I find alot of this style with the crew neck with no darting from the 80s and 70s.

Mine has darting bust and bodice with a right hand pocket.

So I am really leaning to 60s late 60s perhaps.

Thanks again for so much help.

14. With the symbols of the iron etc, I don't believe it is that early. 80s possibly but no earlier.