1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get The Look: Blade Runner ~ VFG Fashion Parade for the week of October 8th

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG Fashion Parades' started by carla rey, Oct 8, 2017.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Blade Runner, a futuristic film noir directed by Ridley Scott in 1982, has become a sci-fi cult favorite, appreciated by many of its fans for its beautifully realized, past-meets-future and east-meets-west production design. Costumers Michael Kaplan and Charles Knode (who shared a BAFTA costume design award for the film) created looks influenced by everything from 1940s suits by Adrian to early 1980s punk rock and Japanese fashion. The creative mixing of different vintage styles and eras with a healthy dash of sci-fi futurism makes even the extras’ costumes in this film worthy of note.

To channel the retro-future style of Blade Runner this week, show us ladies’ tailored 1940s suits and film noir-era menswear (including actual 1940s and 50s garments and 80s-does-40s/50s-style clothing); dramatic fur and fur-trimmed coats from the 1920s to the 1980s; 1970s-1980s punk and bondage styles (including studded, sheer, and fishnet items, slouchy boots, leather coats and jackets); vintage umbrellas (so much rain in this film!); 1960s-1980s clear plastic clothing and accessories, and 1980s fashions by (or inspired by) Japanese avant-garde designers.

.jpg

.jpg

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

3. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

4. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

5. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

6. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

a couple of 40s items from me...and doesn't the hat (Valerie Modes/New York Creation) look like it might have been designed for rain?
    il_570xN.1292204260_mflt.jpg

War-era I. Miller shoes
    il_570xN.1292759084_orid.jpg

8. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Disclaimer: I saw Blade Runner multiple times when it first came out, and rushed to see 2049 yesterday. Yes, I'm a fan!

Here are some 1940s looks for Rachel (or Luv, as the case may be); the first suit is sold, but all other items are available in my Ruby Lane shop.

[​IMG]

1940s Border Striped Taffeta Umbrella w/Bakelite Handle

[​IMG]

c.1940 Brown Rayon Crepe Dress w/Embellished Faux Pocket

[​IMG]

Late 40s/Early 50s Powder Blue Wool Gabardine Suit

[​IMG]

And for when our noir heroine (or anti-heroine) needs a little eye-shading mystery:

c.1940 Black Wool Wide Brim Hat w/Metallic Crocheted Crown

[​IMG]

9. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

10. trufaux

trufaux VFG Member

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President