1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sheila Dawson

Sheila Dawson Registered Guest

skirt 001.JPG skirt 002.JPG skirt 005.JPG skirt 003.JPG
    Does anyone have information on this label?
    It's a 1950s to 1960s Italian wool/wool blend wrap skirt, based on the union label it was made between 1955 to 1963
    The maker is labeled... created by gina teresa
    thanks in advance :D

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I don't have any info on this brand, but I am intrigued by the label on the front outside of the skirt, as I also have this on a wool pencil skirt of similar age (might be italian as well) if anyone can enlighten me as to why this was done.

3. Melanie, it's probably sewn there for a similar purpose as those little cashmere labels you find on coat cuffs. They announce the quality of the fabric but you're meant to take it off before you wear it.

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

If I remember correctly on mine it's sewn into the waistband seam, so you can't remove it without deconstructing!

5. Well, there goes that theory!

Pinkcoke likes this.
  6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found a number of Gina Theresa items for sale by the Robert Hall chain of stores. The ads dated from ca. 1967-1972 and indicated that the Gina Teresa knits came from either Italy or British Hong Kong. IIRC the earlier ads were for Gina Teresa knits from Italy...and here is a 1967 (1968?) ad with the same label as your item.

I found one Gina Teresa label with a WPL number on it, but the FTC RN/WPL database has been unavailable for a couple of days while they upgrade the site. I was not able to find any additional information about the brand.

IMG_5820.jpg

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  7. Sheila Dawson

Is it possible they put the tag on the outside of the garment because it was made in the U.S. and not Italy, or Hong Kong? (My garment has an ILGWU label from 1955-1963)

8. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

Looking at the labels posted by the OP, it appears the fabric itself was imported from Italy, while the actual skirt was made in the USA by union labor.

I wonder if Gina Teresa was a company that made their clothes in the USA of imported fabrics from Italy and Hong Kong

9. Sheila Dawson

I tried to look up the WPL# 20497, the FTC site found nothing with the WPL, but when I tried with the Rn # 20497 the company Robert Hall came up. So I'm assuming the Gina Teresa label is a store brand of Robert Hall Stores

lkranieri likes this.
  10. Debbie Dolan

Debbie Dolan Registered Guest

I have information on this label. Please let me know if you are interested!

11. Debbie Dolan

I have information in detail on this label if interested.

12. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi Debbie, and welcome!
    Yes, we'd love to hear what you know.

13. Debbie Dolan

My Mom is Gina Teresa. The pics in some of the 60s Glamour and other magazines, Vogue were her creations. It was decided to change the name from her name and use this fictitious name to sell more clothes. Sad as she is the one who initiated the line with her blouse and top designs.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  14. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

How wonderful! I'm sorry her name was removed.

15. Debbie Dolan

Thank you, me too!

Retro Ruth likes this.