1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Givenchy - vintage knock-off?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by prater28, May 31, 2008.

1. prater28

prater28 Registered Guest

Can anyone help me with any information about this dress? I've found authentic Givenchy in the past; this one I'm not so sure about.

It seems like a classic sixties Little Black Dress with quality tailoring; I'd guess it's wool or a wool blend; fully lined in rayon or acetate. It has a hidden zipper, marked UNIQUE YKK JAPAN. I've poked around online but I haven't found any evidence of Givenchy producing clothing with Asian labels. There are no other tags in the dress.

Thanks so much!
    Geraldiine / West Hollywood

Attached Files:

2. prater28

prater28 Registered Guest

Givenchy - vintage knock-off? - one more pic

Here's a snap of the whole dress -- it's very simple, quite elegant; seems like pretty good quality but probably not couture.

Geraldine

Attached Files:

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

That looks like Korean writing to me, so no, it is not an authentic Givenchy. Its not uncommon for East Asian dress manufacturers to use established fashion names to help sell their products. Of course it is also the centre of knock-offs as well, but sometimes the names are purchased legally too, like Valentina and Claire McCardell were both purchased by Asian manufacturers. However, I somehow doubt Givenchy is legal since the company has never been out of business since it was founded. I suspect this is a usurping of the established French designer's name, although it wouldn't be technically illegal unless the name is trademarked and there is no attempt to copy the Givenchy label, like a knock-off.

4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

A couple of weeks ago someone else had a garment with a similar label. As I remember the consensus was that this was a Japanese knock-off. Claire