1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye to a treasured friend

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG News - Announcements and events' started by fuzzylizzie, Aug 17, 2009.

1. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

We at VFG learned yesterday of the death of one of our members, Mary Catherine Lamb. MC had been battling cancer for sometime, though she was always the most upbeat of people, with a positive attitude and a kind word for all. She will be greatly missed.

http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/videos/view/26-Quilter-M-C-Lamb

I think MC would want us to remember her with joy, as her life was filled with joy. She would be pleased to know how much she has touched us all. I know my life is richer for having known her.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Will there be a fund set up to donate to for flowers or some kind of memorial? I remember the last time we lost a member a tree was planted in her memory in Oregon.

3. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Watching that video again was painful and wonderful at the same time. What a fine artist and spirit she was. Jonathan - I am waiting to hear from her sister if there's anything special we can do, but meanwhile setting up a memorial fund is an excellent idea.

MC's sock monkey Quilt. I adored that woman.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

MC had a warmth that came through in her postings and U2U messages, along with a great humour. Judging from the support she had from family and friends as she struggled with her illness, she must have touched so many people very deeply. And what a creative human being! We will all miss her. Amanda, please let us know what you hear from her sister.

5. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I'm shocked and saddened.

Thanks so much for sharing that video link with us, Lizzie--it was wonderful seeing MC's amazing art and the collections that fed it.

What a tremendous loss of an amazing human being...

I look forward to hearing what her sister suggests about a tribute for her,, Amanda, and look forward to contributing to whatever sort of memorial fund is set up.

6. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

I think this is the year to start building a whimsical nativity in honor of MC's. I dug up her posts somewhere else about her Xmas decor....I loved her attitude and thought her nativity scene showed it best....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her tree

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still can't believe she's gone.

Ang

7. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

Oh my, just got back from out of town and this is the first I have learned of this. I am shocked and saddened. Let me catch up on the other posts.

8. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

9. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

Rest in peace Mary Catherine, you will live forever in my memories.

I am so glad that I was able to have known such a kind and talented woman....she blessed my life with her presence and I am grateful.

Cat

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

So very sad to hear this lovely lady has passed on. She was such a bright and creative spirit! We were very fortunate to have her as part of our group and we will all miss her greatly.

11. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

:wub: I feel so blessed to have known her...:wub: I'm feeling a little lost right now.

12. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

Very sorry to hear this.
    It was so fun to see her creative ideas in her home though her links here.

13. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

Oh my God, I am shocked and in tears!

I feel so bad, I prayed and prayed for her health to improve and I thought she was on the upswing! I was supposed to have met her in person, just this week, but my trip to Oregon got canceled/postponed. I am so sad. I just love MC!! :(

14. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

This is so sad. MC's personality, spirit, and kindness will be so missed :(. She was a gem of a lady. The video serves as a very fitting tribute for her to be remembered by.

What makes me most sad is that she was "just here" - i read a post of hers just in the past few weeks or days. I don't know if that makes any sense. You just never know what happens one day to the next, and it especially reminds me how important it is to treasure people.

15. Luckysparrow

Luckysparrow Alumni

Some of MC's close friends and family in Portland have set up a website that has a lot of information on it. Here is a message from MC's friend Pattie:

"We have been very concerned about how to get the word out to MC's many dear online friends. I would appreciate it if you would distribute information about this site. We would love to hear from any and all of you, and you can get the best information about how this sad turn of events has come about and stay informed as we plan tributes. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty swell, and that our friend MC would highly approve of the well-deserved recognition. Take care,
    Pattie

www.lotsahelpinghands.com/c/616346

16. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I just had a nice chat with MC's best friend, Pattie. They are thinking about having a memorial in late October, but they have not yet come up with any specific ideas for donations, etc. Folks are meeting Wednesday and will discuss this, among other things. MC did leave a bequest to a political action group and I will get that name. She was quite the activist.

Pattie wants all MC's online friends to know that she was surrounded by friends and never had any pain, discomfort or anxiety.

17. Just returned from vacation to learn of this very sad news. :( I am glad that there was no pain. May she Rest in Peace and watch over her earthly vintie lovers who I know will think of her often. One cool chick that will always be remembered for her spirit and creativity!

18. MC was one in a million, a rare gem in the vintage community. I wonder if she ever knew how much she was adored, admired, looked up to and loved here-- and not being able to thank her for all the help and kindness she's given to us all over the years absolutely guts me.

19. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Kim......hugs.

She knew. We talked online via emila a bit over the years. I believe she she completely knew how much we all adored her and reveled in her prescence. She was humble about it, as was her way. But no doubt she felt, and feels, our love.

Ang

20. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

She was so articulate, such a gift for the spoken word, which makes perfect sense considering her longtime career as an editor. It was always important to her to get it precisely right, even as she would laugh at herself for caring so much.

She had a warm and generous heart, plus her creative gifts. I think one of the reasons she had so many friends is because she had a talent for being a friend.