1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got Buttons Anyone?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by igotbuttons, Jul 6, 2005.

1. igotbuttons

igotbuttons Registered Guest

Hello, I'm new and just joined last night. I found this section of the forum this morning. As my name suggests, not only do I collect Vintage Clothing but Antique and Vintage Buttons, as well! I must admit that I'm more knowledgable about my buttons than my Vintage Clothing.

So, if you've got some buttons hanging about that you'd like to clear out let me know, maybe we can work a trade for some of my Vintage items?

Just a thought!

Thanks! Patti

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I do have many vintage buttons. I have some that feel like stone and some with a mother of pearl effect to them that i probably won't be putting on a garment any time soon. I will dig around and see what i have for you.

Chris

3. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

Oh, no, we must keep our vintage buttons, and pet them occasionally. Bring them out, pet them, and put them back in the safe.

Welcome, Igot!

Brenda

4. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

I'm still looking for buttons to cover - but they have to be 'half-ball' shaped. I have a Biba blouse with these buttons, but about 3 are missing and I only seem to be able to find FLAT self cover buttons over here. :no:

Liz

5. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

Liz,
    Can you just cover a plastic or metal button? With a round piece of fabric just the right size, a few little stitches around the perimeter, and a few shots of steam, you might be able to do it.

Brenda

6. Welcome, Patti.:party:

I do have tons of buttons and have tried to sell some but did not get the price I thought they were worth. I also collect them.

Will look to see what I would be willing to part with.:)

7. Patentleathershoes

I will look, Liz

I have one particular type of button i am looking for too. I will have to get a picture because its hard to describe...silvertone, very shiny like chrome, not quite mirror shiny but heading towards... round, but flat and completely smooth. Well, not completely flat. they are a few mm high. For something late 60s-early 70s and cute. I might not get a match so i may have to replace for the cutest spring coat thing.

Now I have two reasons to look through my stash...

8. Hi Patti!! Welcome aboard!!

I love buttons!!! When I was a kid, my mother had a sewing basket just for her buttons. I would spill them out on the floor and just look at them over and over again. As I have carried on for years about her buttons, she recently gave them to me (sans the cool little sewing basket! :mad:). Now, once again, I can spill them out and play with them!! -- I was, however, heartbroken to discover that my favorite black button was no longer there!!

Would love to see photos of your favorite buttons from your collection!!! Please do post some for us to oogle!!

Cheers ~ Maureen

9. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Thank you both! I'd rather do them as close to the original buttons as possible which I believe is plastic. They should really be available, if they were so widely used back then - another blouse I have has the same problem. I might try some of the 'posher' haberdashers in London!

Liz

10. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Oh, no, we must keep our vintage buttons, and pet them occasionally. Bring them out, pet them, and put them back in the safe.

LOL Brenda, you are so right!

Patti (Welcome btw), I have ALOT of vintage/antique buttons, prob is whenever I go to part with any of them, I think, either, "Oh that is too
    pretty, I'll keep it for abit", or, "What if I need this one for a repair?"

Sue

11. igotbuttons

Thanks for the fabulously warm welcome, everyone! It's a pleasure to meet all of you. I'm going to try to answer everyone in this long post.

Since you'd like to see some of my buttons how about I post the link to my 1st prize winning Black Glass Button competition tray from the Spring 2005 Pennsylvania State Button Society Show? I guarantee you that you'll be amazed!! LOL

Lemme see if I can get this right. Hope it works!!
    http://usedstuff.home.att.net/blglcomp.htm

I'm also the webmistress for the PA State Button Society:
    http://igotbuttons.home.att.net/psbs/psbsinfo.htm

If you're interested in joining the National Button Society you can find a link to information about joining on my website. If you REALLY want to learn more about your buttons (another addiction! LOL) then I suggest you join! It's very inexpensive to join and the people are just great....like you guys!

Sue, sounds to me like you're a collector at heart and now you know what to do with them since you don't really want to part with them! LOL

Maureen, that's exactly how I got into collecting buttons! Spreading out the contents of mom's sewing basket!

Patentleathershoes (and everyone else needing just one button) if you post a picture of the button you need I can check through my stash (which is HUGE) and see if I can find it....I also have GOBS of collector friends who can look through theirs, too!

Liz, we have had collectors cover plain old buttons with fabric showing pictures on them to use in competition so that's not as far fetched of an idea as you might think in order to get that last button you need for your outfit!

Well, let me know what you think of my buttons!

Patti

12. Awesome collection!! I love the Starburst button!! Oh man, now you are going to make me go look through my mom's buttons!!!!!! :P

13. Patentleathershoes

WOw!

None of the buttons I have are that fancy, although some are interesting.

I love the Roman guy on the chariot button because its right up my alley, but those enamel buttons are fantastic too.

And a woman after my own heart...i *love* your toad page. I am a bit of a nut about toads and frogs. I am developing an out door toad friendly habitat for the ones that live around our yard and we have attracted a few frogs (2 types of tree frog and one species frog that i need to identify)... I have a few fake toads and frogs in the house though to satisfy having toads actually in the house as I had the real thing as a kid One is very realistic looking though and makes people look twice. I don't take them out of the wild anymore unless they are injured and won't survive without intervention. My husband is glad that i don't because he is one of those folks that aren't keen on bringing crickets in the house voluntarily.

Okay, enough about me - y'all probably think i am nuts now.

Chris

14. igotbuttons

Thanks!

Those are just a few of the ones that I actually put on a card (9" x 12" matboard from the craft store - cut down a huge sheet to get 9 or 10 cards). I've got LOTS more! My online discussion group is studying ceramic/stoneware buttons right now and I'm getting ready to scan some for my website so when I get that done I'll post the link in here, too. Maybe we could get a new forum created for Trims & Notions? LOL Just another one of my crazy thoughts.

OH! And I'll scan another card of a few of my favorite glass antique & vintage buttons!

Hopefully I can get that done within the hour! LOL

Toads are really cool pets. You can attract them to your garden with clay pots that broke in half (top to bottom) and sticking them in a quiet corner.

Patti

15. igotbuttons

16. igotbuttons

17. I love the poppers! They look like you could find them out in nature!!

This is so much fun Patti! I'm so glad you found us!!!!

:bouncy:

~Maureen

18. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

On my, my grandmother had about 6 huge coffee cans of buttons....must go on the hunt to look for some of them when I go next.

Mom and grandmother used to cut them off the clothes that they made into rags.

Grandmother made me several button dolls!!! Oh the fun times I had....

19. Patentleathershoes

I am going to look through my buttons tomorrow.

I will let you know what i find and will post the jacket i am looking for buttons for.

20. igotbuttons

I'm glad that I found you guys too! I can't wait to help you out with your buttons!!

Patti