1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Fall Trends ~ Vintage, vintage, vintage

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bartondoll, Jul 19, 2004.

1. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Last night I was able to catch up with two of the
    current fashion magazines and was thrilled to see
    the vintage inspiration (20s to 50s) in the new collections, from the garment to the accessories!

A polished, glamourous feminine look that could be attained
    by wearing all vintage, some vintage and modern...or if you
    all new :P . Both mags that I was looking at (Vogue and
    Elle Canada) used the word vintage quite abit also which is a plus.

Sue

2. Yesss. :)

Steph

3. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie oh goodie

Got scans, Sue?

I can't afford to buy a magazine right now. (sick, ain't it?)

4. kevinjohnnyc

kevinjohnnyc Registered Guest

Leisa - You can go to style.com or vogue.co.uk for pictures and lots of trend coverage. They're great resources. I have a ton of others. I could make a list and post it later...

Did anyone see the Stephen Meisel spread called "Eccentrics" last year in American Vogue that was cited by many fashionistas to be the inspiration for this Fall? I think it was styled by Pat McGrath. It was incredible! And it was all about the "mix". Which we all know is the look of the millenium so far. And thankfully it usually incudes at least one nod to the past in some form.

Huge brooches, gloves, lace, pearls (still) fur stoles (fake is better. trompe l'oeil ala Pringle's sweet sweater, even better), color. Pencil skirt is huge. Trumpets still around. Minis are non-existent in the collections (but with it being summer I'm sure seeing a lot) There's a "prim is edgy" feeling. High-collared shirts with ruffles or bows. A kind of Victorian meets Williamsburg thing. Eighties ankle boots with that squat Victorian heel look right now. Tailoring, jackets. Dresses are big.

There also a very simple look going on now. Either in reaction to the high drama or the heat. Layered tanks and fitted, straight pipe-leg jeans with flat, flat shoes. Simple little knit dresses. No jewelry. Kind of a return to the early '90s already. Usually some kind of subtle design element in this look, like draping, pleats, odd openings, etc. Sometimes a slick look with neon, studs, a little bright plastic jewelry the only accessories.

For Spring start looking for ethnic, color & preppy (still), nautical. Cropped boxy double-breasted jackets, like the "Jacadi" one I found below (paired with an Alexander McQueen sample skirt I snagged for $5.99 at a Salvation Army! Which brings me to a question about selling "Cruise" season on eBay...that later)

[​IMG]

5. kevinjohnnyc

kevinjohnnyc Registered Guest

Forgot to add 40s-50s Hollywood and that Noir feeling big too.

6. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

Agreed. My mom keeps up to date with 'modern' fashion and when I went shopping last weekend I noticed lots of vintage inspired looks at all the major stores such as Nieman Marcus, Nordstrom, Macy's, even Express....

Big time fashion accessory this fall is the rough woven suit jacket - very 1950's with blendings of different colored threads and often with ragged edged hemlines. Big bold jeweled brooches are also en vogue this fall, with sometimes even two or three of them being pinned to a suit jacket or fur stole. And speaking of fur - there are lots of cute fur stoles and collars being sold - in all colors, I saw a rabbit fur stole in carnation pink! Wool ponchos are also in demand, slung casually over one's shoulders and not always in a symmetrical fashion. Checks and Houndstooth patterns are also back in style, particularly in coats, scarves, and skirts. Finally, the pencil skirt is very much back in style as it goes with that elegant look designers seem to be going for this fall.

You could definately get away with wearing nothing but vintage and maybe one or two contemporary pieces this fall. As was mentioned earlier on in the thread the look is very prim and old school glamour - think like Audrey.

Fun times :)

~Tiff~