1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greta Plattry for Teal Traina

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DShopped, Mar 9, 2016.

1. DShopped

DShopped Registered Guest

Hi,

I've read what little I could find about Greta Plattry including her time designing for Teal Traina but haven't come across anything that looks even remotely like this in style or design. It seems somewhat "matronly" compared to other items I've seen with the the same label.
    The lobsters and waves are applied to the fabric, reminiscent of the iron-ons of the 70s. Is it a house-dress? A swimsuit cover?
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_2649.jpg IMG_2650.jpg IMG_2653.jpg IMG_2660.jpg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Wow I wouldn't call that matronly at all, it looks like a very on-trend beach dress to me, but I don't know if the motifs are original, it's mostly those that look earlier in style to me, the shape says later 1960s, it reminds me of some of Laura Ashley's early gardening smocks. The nylon zip looks later than this yet though, can you tell if it is a replacement or original from the stitching?
    The rear zip suggests a 'proper' dress to me rather than something to throw on over your swimwear.

3. Cute. With the red, white and blue ILGW label it can be no earlier than 1974.

Pinkcoke likes this.
  4. DShopped

DShopped Registered Guest

Thanks Melanie and Deborah!
    I agree; it is on-trend for a beach dress, but it doesn't seem to jibe with the designs Greta was doing under the Plattry-Traina label.
    The zipper appears original; It's marked 'conceal' and 'Japan.' For what it's worth, the inside seams are pinked. Looking more closely, I believe the designs were painted onto the fabric.