1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grey felt coat 70's?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Oct 20, 2018.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi all, I have this coat listed as 60s-70s and wanted to make sure I an informing people correctly,

The styling, weightiness, slim line and long sleeves as well as the stitching, absence of shoulder pads and general feel make me think this. It is fully lined with a poly or poly blend fabric, which is hand sewn. It has this really interesting diamond pattern and some circular press studs in the design. It has no labels at all (nape label has come off) but came in a lot of other high end clothing sold at The White House, Bond st. Most of the items I have had from the lots in this auction are early 80's with several pieces being late 70's.

I had this coat pegged as slightly earlier and it was in a mixed lot of coats (some clearly 80's) but the auction also had lots of coats for early vintage periods (60s n 70s). There is one other coat very similar in style to this with The White House label sewn in an another 'Basta' label, which I also think is 60s-70s it doesn't have any fabric or care labels. Both these coats are the ones that caught my Mothers eye as being earlier and a bit special.

Would really appreciate any feedback,

Gem IMG_6789.jpg

IMG_6797.jpg IMG_6802.jpg

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Is there a label? I'm seeing - at present - possibly 60s-70s cusp.

themerchantsofvintage and GemGem like this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

No label at all but there is a hole inside at the nape suggesting there was one there. The other coat which has a very similar style has a Basta label and 'The White House' label but neither have care or fabric composition labels.

Pic of the other coat and its labels...

IMG_6821.jpg
    IMG_6838.jpg

IMG_6824.jpg

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

There's a very similar style White House label in the label resource here... says 1970s. The style of both have a very late 60s-1970 look.

GemGem likes this.
  5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I am confused by your calling it felt. It looks like a woven fabric in the photo.
    Marian

GemGem likes this.
  6. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

The second coat looks like it dates to the 60s to me.

This raincoat ad which is not mine looks pretty close to the style but I notice it does not have the same shoulder style.

Code:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/1964-B-Altman-Co-Vintage-Italian-Tuscany-Raincoat-ART-PRINT-AD-/131206181336
    I'm not quite sure about the first. It looks like a woven wool to me however we have others who are much more knowledgable of fabric than me. The collar style would suggest late 60s, maybe into the early 70s.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    GemGem likes this.
  7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi Marian,

Thanks for your reply,

The first coat (grey) looks and feels like felted wool to me, the second is clearly woven. A very thick weave in the second which I think indicates a basic basket weave?

8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thanks so much for replying, what a fab raincoat ad, great find! So this would suggest a mid 60's style then, thats really helpful as I couldn't find anything similar enough when looking myself.

Interesting about the first coat being woven, it has a felt look and feel to me but i'm certainly not a fabric expert.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  9. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Please forgive me. The first does look like wool to me but it does not look like it’s woven.

The second appears to be woven. I don’t know what the weave is called but one of our members might know that.

GemGem likes this.
  10. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I think the second is a basket weave? but unfortunately I am uncertain. The first I really have no idea if it's not felt.

11. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The first one looks like felt to me and the second looks like a basket weave to me, as well.

GemGem likes this.