1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gucci is Gucci, right?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Charles J Henderson, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Charles J Henderson

Charles J Henderson Registered Guest

I came about this shirt at a thrift store and cannot find any information on it. It's a men's Paolo Gucci, and what I've read about Paolo Gucci is a somewhat sad story. Basically Paolo tried to "cheapen" the Gucci brand at one point by making mass produced items like watches and glasses, but was stopped by other members of the family by lawsuits. Knowing this, is this considered a cheapen version of Gucci? If or if not how much would it be worth?
    IMG_1223 (1).jpg IMG_1224 (1).jpg IMG_1225 (1).jpg

2. Hi Charles, and welcome to the forums. We can't help you with appraisals but yes, this is a cheaper product. All the same, it might be collectable. You never know: hopefully someone can help.

Designer labels, needless to say, aren't just sought after for the name, they're prized due to good quality so lesser quality will affect value greatly.

INVINTAGEV likes this.
  3. I occasionally come across this name in the thrifts and, in all honesty, I don't bother with it for resale. It certainly is NOT the same as, or on par with "true" Gucci.
    That said, the Paolo Gucci items do appear to be of good quality.

4. Charles J Henderson

Oh well, that’s good to know. I mean the shirt is well made being from what looks like the 90s. I can’t find anything like it by googling it. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  5. Charles, I think it's a little earlier than that: I see early '80s in the slim, square collar, and HK manufacturing labels.

6. Charles J Henderson

Well that’s interesting. I know Paolo broke off in the late 80s, I’m not sure when he started with his “cheapafying” phase of production. But I’ll post on some other forums and see what I come up with. Thanks.

7. thanks Charles: I might be a little off because the collar style continued through the '80s, so it might be later '80s. The HK swayed me, as there wasn't as much manufacturing there in the later part as there was in the early part, and the shoulders tended to get broader.

Charles J Henderson likes this.
  8. Charles J Henderson

Ohh. Ok, well this is all good information in general. Thanks again! And I believe I read somewhere Paolo was fired in 82, and after some lawsuits had to use "Designed by Paolo Gucci" opposed to using just "Gucci". So it would put it in the mid to late 80s I would guess.

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.