1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Gum Lined"??? vintage dress help!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Shiloh, May 20, 2014.

1. Shiloh

Shiloh Registered Guest

I picked up this really pretty dress in Manhattan the other day. The only label I found was under one of the thin shoulder pad linings (I'm guessing that's what it is, the insides were disintegrated). It states Macy Associate's
    Supremacy
    Double Covered
    Gum Lined
    82D Demi
    EG 3 E5

I cannot figure out what this fabric is or what gum lined means...is that something to do with the type of lining? The dress is a halter, 50s-style, with a full skirt and attached cummerbund/bow. I'm sure both fabrics are synthetic. I'm thinking it might be 60s but who knows. I unfortunately don't have many reference books as I refuse to buy things brand new :)P) and I cannot find anything on the internet. Any help is appreciated. I'll try to upload a photo soon.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I assume in the context of a pad that gum would mean 'rubber'.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

And I might bet that those are not shoulder pads but underarm pads or sweat guards to protect the dress from perspiration staining. The label is for the pads, not the actual dress or the fabric the dress was made from. As Jonathan stated, they were likely lined with latex AKA gum or rubber.

4. Yes - Barbara beat me to it! Well done Barbara, I agree entirely!

Chuck them out, underarm protectors are icky especially if they've been used - if they're brand new you can cut them out and keep as an oddity but they have to be pretty special to warrant that.