1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gunne Sax Perticularities

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by HopeFo, Jul 24, 2019.

1. HopeFo

HopeFo Registered Guest

Hi, I have a Gunne Sax dress that looks like it can be dated to the early 1970s. I have done some research online, but I'm curious as to tell how "rare" one of these dresses are. I have found similar ones priced online for anything from 75$ to 200$, but I have also seen others listed as "rare" for up to 400$. Out of curiosity, how do you tell if a Gunne Sax dress is rare? And what do you think this particular one is worth? The Gunne Sax dress I own is in excellent shape, it looks barely worn, if worn at all.
    Thanks!
    IMG_0213.jpeg IMG_0212.jpeg IMG_0214.jpeg

2. The word rare is thrown around a lot. Gunne Sax produced copious amounts of these dresses; so unless it was a one off (and can be proven) or it was worn by a well known person, I would not pay much attention to the word.

We do not do assessments here. Researching ask prices (and that does not mean that is what an item will sell for) is a good start but if you can find what they sold for on eBay or Ruby Lane that might give you a better idea.

That said, your dress is 70s and very pretty.

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

The "black label" Gunnies are less common than the other iterations, primarily because they were used during the first few years of the company's existence, when they were presumably turning out fewer dresses. But as Deborah said, none of them are "rare" in the truest meaning of that word. They are very popular though.

4. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

There is a group on fb...Gunne Sax Addicts. I'm sure they could give help.

5. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

The original designer/owner of Gunne Sax graduated from the same CA jr. college I did. in Oakland.

cosmiccowgirl and MagsRags like this.