1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halp! Dating another dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Into the void, May 12, 2017.

1. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

Hey again:) found this cutie at a local goodwill. Looks homemade no tags. Is it vintage? If so how old? Looks like a modern day size 14 which is larger then most dresses from long ago. It looks to be a summer dress reminds me of the 50s but correct me if I'm wrong! Also in really good condition like it's never been worn almost. Feels cotton.

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Looks 70s BUT I think it was fairly recently cut off and hemmed.

3. Into the void

Oooo interesting. Yeah I mean it looks short so in was wondering about that. I tried it on and the waste is kind of low. I've been finding a lot of homemade clothing lately so it makes it even more difficult for a novice like myself but I really want to learn more so any info you or anyone can give me would be awesome:)

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Yes. For either 70s (could be) or 80s (could also be), this dress is too short. I think someone cut it off like many do. Also, that hem looks like that is the case. In both the 70s and 80s the hem would be finished differently. There are 3 techniques I can think of that someone then would have used rather than a shirt tail hem like that.

About homemade vintage... start looking at the patterns of the different eras. Then you can see similarities of style for the eras.

This one... I can't tell exactly how long the drop on this waist but if a true drop waist, it's more 80s.

5. Into the void

Ok so that is a shirt tail hem on the bottom? So that is more modern? What technique would they have used in the 70s? Sorry for all the questions this is all so fascinating to me. If you don't feel like explaining the whole thing do you have an online reference I could refere to? Thanks so much for your help!

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

You could read all kinds of books about sewing techniques. There are many. The hem techniques, for the average homesewer, that I can think of for this dress might have been:

1) a lace or hem tape (latter looks like bias tape) that is sewn to the end of the fabric and then turned up. Then the sewer would give a light press and pin in place, and then blind stitch into place all the way around. Give a light press again.
    2) some turned up the hem, no tape, and just blind stitched into place.
    3) make the shirt tail hem to give the edge a clean look THEN blind stitch into place as in 2).

Which technique depends on the weight of the fabric, skill level of sewer, etc. Seeing a shirt tail hem as the hem... I must be getting old but it looks un-finished to my eye. But I see it all the time on contemporary clothes. Vintage? Nah.

Like I said, you can find all kinds of books about sewing techniques and the finishing techniques too. Personally, I find learning this stuff is part of knowing vintage. I am grateful for all the hours I spent taking classes and sewing... 4H, high school, sewing with my mom... it really helps!

7. 1980s. Agree that it's been shortened. Top stitching the hem is quick and easy but has only been used for dresses since the '90s so it's a modern alteration. The skirt was probably mid calf originally.