1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hang or short shelve for a 40s crepe sequin formal gown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by victoryvtg, Feb 23, 2021.

1. victoryvtg

victoryvtg Registered Guest

With the weight being primarily at the top section of the dress, would it make the most sense to hang from padded hangers placed side by side, parallel but touching each other?

The rack i have is 5'7" in height, or if shelved, i would need to fold it in half width wise. Probably okay, length, to not fold.

I am probably not going to steam it, even though the bottom has lots of overlapping visible layerz that could get wrinkled easily.

Thank you

Attached Files:

Katarzyna likes this.
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth Administrator Staff Member

I think most people reckon heavy beaded garments should be stored flat if possible.

I think the ideal is a large acid free box, large enough for minimal folding, and folding it around tissue paper to minimise creasing

I know sometimes people sew very long loops inside from the waist level, long enough to reach the shoulders, and hang from those. This takes some of the strain off the shoulders. I'm not sure how that would work with this particular dress.

denisebrain likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth Administrator Staff Member

I also sometimes hang dresses folded over a hanger, at the waist. Ideally the hanger will have a large round bar. This also reduces strain on the shoulders, as well as allowing you to hang a long garment on a shorter rack.

Great dress!

denisebrain likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

I have many sequin dresses from Victorian onwards and agree with others, fold and store in shallow flat box, minimal folds as possible and several layers of acid free tissue between folds.

denisebrain likes this.
  6. victoryvtg

victoryvtg Registered Guest

Thanks all! Will try to store flat