1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hey Diana Pie

Hey Diana Pie Registered Guest

Hi everyone ☺️
    I'm not sure if there's any information out there for this, but I was wondering if the ribbon loops used to keep clothing on hangers has any specific known era when they were invented?
    I found this incredible dress that reminds me so much of Anne of Green Gables with her huge puffed sleeves. It has a cinched waist with crazy big bows on the shoulders and an even bigger bow at the base of the back zipper. It has a plastic zipper up the back, but also several metal hooks. It has a very 1910s inspired look, but due to that zipper know it's much later than that. No tags. I thought maybe the ribbon loops might help me to date it.
    Thanks for any replies!
    Diana

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Diana,
    The plastic zipper sounds modern... well, fabric hangers on skirts and other things you couldn't keep on clothes hangers otherwise would have been around longer, but if you mean those long satin ribbons that are used in sweaters and such items just to keep them from slipping off the hanger in the shop, those I would say are an invention of the last 10-15 years.
    But can you please post photos of your dress, front and back, and a close-up of that zipper? That would really help to date your dress.