1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harco Originals Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by SusieQsie, Jan 26, 2021.

1. SusieQsie

SusieQsie Registered Guest

Hello, I have this beautiful dress from Harco Originals that I'm not entirely sure of the date on as well as some terms to describe it.

A stupid 15 year ago me ran it through the wash and the label frayed. I am surprised how well the rest of the garment held up from my parent's rough machine. I think the tulle inside the skirt might have torn, but I'm not sure if it was torn prior to me washing it.

Inside seams are mostly unfinished, the seams near the skirt hem are pinked. The back neck-facing and the front-facing is bound. The bottom (mermaid?) section of the dress has knife pleats? Please feel free to correct me on my terms. The skirt hem has been finished with a ribbon.

The waistline is suuuppper small. Not sure if this is an indication it was meant to wear with a corset. The waistline is so small the previous owner popped the buttons at the waist! The fabric-covered buttons are made so that they fit a black cloth inside the rim on the underside, which pulled out, and I was not able to fix them. I only had smaller covered buttons in a similar color. The buttons were also sewn on using one continuous thread(s). I am honestly too lazy to refer to my sewing book to look up what this method is called.

The fabric has a sheen to it and has moth holes throughout. The warp and weft may be woven with two different materials as the green outer side feels kinda itchy, and the inner black side is super soft. My burn test was inconclusive. The black fibers burned super fast. The green ones slower, causing it to curl. Hard black bead, most likely acrylic?

Any help is much appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Lovely dress - I am seeing 1950s with that low waist and pleated skirt. Not quite as drastic as a corset, but women would then have worn a girdle or something similar underneath which would have helped to accentuate the waist.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    SusieQsie likes this.
  4. SusieQsie

@Midge Thank you, this is very helpful :) I was thinking 50s as well.

Midge likes this.
  5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with '50s.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with 50s as well. Lovely color and it suits you!

7. SusieQsie