1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harrods Dressing Gown - Date from Label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by janeyh, Sep 5, 2013.

1. janeyh

janeyh Registered Guest

Hi,
    I have acquired a vintage gents dressing gown for our theatre wardrobe. It's not in the best condition, but I would love to find out how old it is. I have searched the label resource, and it does not match any of those shown. I would be very grateful if anyone might be able to help. Thank you! IMG_0631.jpg

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi there, we'll be able to date it more easily if post a picture of the whole garment, and give any relevant details of its construction. The label on its own can't be used to date a garment.

3. janeyh

janeyh Registered Guest

Thank you very much. I have attached a couple of photos, hope they are helpful. The gown is heavy, padded almost. It is lined with a brown fabric, which I can't identify, and the outer would appear to be silk. It has a paisley pattern, which has considerably faded, and is edged with a two-tone piping. It has two buttons.

It seems to be quite old, and if not, has been very badly treated! Thanks again IMG_0632.JPG IMG_0634.jpg IMG_0633.jpg

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What beautiful fabric. It looks like it is from the teens to me.

5. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Under the cuff - what a tantalising glimpse of the original colours.

Leonardo Da Vintage likes this.
  6. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Gosh that is a stunning robe! Your theatre wardrobe is very lucky indeed, I hope you get a Noel Coward Play now to use it in- Private Lives would be perfect !!

7. Retro Ruth

It totally made me think of Noel Coward!

It'd be great to have that label in our label resource if you were willing for us to use it. Does anyone else want to chime in on date? I did wonder if it could be later, sometime between the wars, but I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable person here.

If it's so heavy and feels padded, I wonder if it's interlined?

The lining appears to be faille, and could also be a silk, or might be cotton or rayon - hard to know from photos.

PS: Talking of Private Lives, there a good BBC radio adaptation of it on right now - starring Helena Bonham Carter and Bill Nighy. It should be available to listen world wide - I think all BBC radio is, unlike the TV. (I love radio plays to listen to while I'm working)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00phzvx/Saturday_Drama_Noel_Coward_Private_Lives/

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I am seeing this as on the earlier side, pre WWI. Of course it is hard to date from just a photo. What kind of closures does it have? Are the buttons fabric covered, or does it close with frogs?

9. sewingmachinegirl

Brilliant link Ruth!! I will listen to that while I work today!

Leonardo Da Vintage likes this.
  10. Retro Ruth

Enjoy Gayle!

11. sewingmachinegirl

Ruth -Private Lives was fantastic, I am going to become a BBC radio 1 regular now :)

12. Retro Ruth

I'm so glad you enjoyed - BBC Radio is fantastic, especially the drama, and they do a lot of classics and historical dramas, and novel adaptations and dramatisations. I heartily recommend it to anyone, and it's all on BBC iPlayer available on demand, all round the world. I find it a great way to work, with that kind of thing in the background.