1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone every heard of these designers?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Erin Wells, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Erin Wells

Erin Wells Registered Guest

Hi all! I have done my own research on these two dresses/design labels, and cannot find a thing. Hand Made by Virginia Rash brings up horrible images in Google, and it is as if Lucille Cartelli was a made up person...

I would super appreciate any information on these two designers and also the possible ages of these two dresses. I am thinking 60s? Both labels you see are the only labels on the dresses.

Thank you !!

Attached Files:

2. No help with labels. I see 60s on the pretty brocade dress but I think the black may be late 50s - love the back. Looking forward to what others think.

3. Erin Wells

Thank you, Deborah! I am sure I am not researching in the right places, but so anxious to know! Thank you for your input!

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I will look again for more information for you, but here are two small Google hits on Lucille Cartelli. No useful information is available if you click on the hits.
    LucilleCartelliGoogleHits.jpg

5. Erin Wells

Thank you, Lynne. I did see those! They wanted me to sign up for some Newspaper thing to read those articles. Once they asked for my credit card, I backed out of that. But thank you for looking!!

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Clips from a 1958 article about Lucille Cartelli: "...Lucille Cartelli, a fashion-wise lady who hangs clothes on an assortment of Broadway, Hollywood, and opera stars, as well as musical comedy belles. Some society women are also on her list of clients...Miss C. is high fashion. Her salon in East 64th Street is a strew and welter of vividly colored silks and satins, draped about with glowing abandon...Miss Cartelli has the feeling that the sheath is fine for still uniformed young teenagers, since it gives them a suitable line until they have fully matured and require more elegant design. Actually, three years ago she created a semi-chemise design and found it was popular with young adolescent girls...Her forte in design is harmonious combining of vibrant colors and the use of Genoese Meta silks or other unusual fabrics. Few designers here carry or use Meta silks, depending on less luxurious fabrics such as Dupioni. But the best-dressed women of the world knew and demand Meta. She also likes hand-blocked silks, luxury brocades, and crepes not to be found in any place but Italy..."

7. Erin Wells

WOW!!! Thank you so much, Lynne!! That is wonderful to read!!!

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

From a 1959 article: "...Glen Roberts, a 22-year-old designer from Pittsburgh, Pa...left the University of Pittsburgh for a European junket (where) he absorbed color like a sponge. After a year he returned to New York, studied at the Traphagen School and went into freelance sketching that eventually led to his present job -- designing for Mme. Lucille Cartelli, the head of a custom order salon at 165 East Sixty-Fourth Street. 'Most of our customers are European or South American women,' Glen observed in an interview at the salon. 'They appreciate fit, good construction, and detail more than the average American woman.'"

9. Erin Wells

WOW! So interesting! Thank you again for researching Mme. Lucille Cartelli!

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

11. Erin Wells

Thank you, Karin! I love them both!