1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you seen, bought, or sold this?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lkranieri, May 2, 2009.

1. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found this in a 1940s Bonwit Teller ad and would like to find one. I gather it is small, went in the lapel, and held a (replaceable?) vial of Schiaparelli perfume. Is it supposed to be a fencer? What would you search for if you were looking for it? Mannequin? Fencer? Dress form?

2. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Fencer

From a 2003 auction

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you for that link. I went to the Rago site and searched the results, but that was not among them, so I gather it did not meet the reserve.

My children were all fencers and I have a very tiny collection of vintage perfume-vial-type pins, necklaces, etc. and would enjoy including that. Now I have to find out what happened to it...

4. joules

joules VFG Member

Lynne, you need that! I treasure my mini Shocking bottle, that I thrifted. The fencer pin is great! Those Schiap perfume items can be very pricey...

5. I have sold numerous perfumes and perfume access. over the years but I have never run across the one. Looks like a rare one to me.
    And big bucks. I love it.

6. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

7. joules

joules VFG Member

I'm into the perfume thing too, and this is a definite rarity. Thanks for that excellent view, Ookoo.

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you for finding the great picture of the item. It looks a little scarier there, doesn't it? That might account for its rarity. :hysterical:

9. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Searching for "Schiaparelli Scamp" turned up another auction from 2007.

Is the term "Scamp" associated with fencing?

10. joules

joules VFG Member

11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Not as far as I know. I never heard the term associated with fencing, but I'll ask the former fencers.

12. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

That is supremely cool!!!!!! I LOVE it!!!\
    Ang

13. joules

joules VFG Member

14. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

I wouldn't even have picked that up...would never have associated it with Schiap. The trouble with hanging out here is having to remember all the new info.

15. joules

joules VFG Member

16. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

How wonderful! How tall is it? Do you think it would have been the same size that went inside the fencer?

And you said you found it in a thrift shop? Nice find!

17. joules

joules VFG Member

It's just an inch, or so high. I love perfume minis, and could get very carried away with them, if I let myself, as they're great fun to collect. It very well might have, you know!

18. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I keep coming back to look at this, how cool would it be to find that!

I have a killer Succès Fou perfume bottle in the box that I took to Antiques Roadshow. I really should sell it before I break it but I have never had the chance to buy another one.

Here's one I found online, I don't have a pic of mine:

19. joules

joules VFG Member

That is truly outstanding! It would not be easy to replace. Quite rare, and fab!

20. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Wow! That Succès Fou presentation box and bottle are fabulous! What does the top of the box look like? (I love Valentine's boxes, too)