1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Can you date this old velvet jacket?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sarah Hudgins, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Sarah Hudgins

Sarah Hudgins Registered Guest

Can anyone help me date this bolero jacket? Or come up with a name / style for it? It's really strange. I feel like it's definitely older...somewhere between 1920's-1940's. The batwing / dolman sleeves are really different. I've never seen anything quite like it. Pictures attached. This is my first time posting here. Thanks!
    DSCN3279.JPG DSCN3310.JPG DSCN3311.JPG DSCN3312.JPG DSCN3313.JPG DSCN3314.JPG DSCN3315.JPG DSCN3317.JPG DSCN3273.JPG DSCN3275.JPG

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is lovely. It looks to be from the early 1930s. Are you sure it is velvet? It looks like fur, similar to what used to be called "Hudson seal" but which was not really seal it was another less expensive fur.

You might call it a shrug style. Or simply a short Dolman sleeved jacket.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Barbara, it looks more like a fur, can you get in underneath the lining, to see if you can see the skin of the fur. I am wondering if it isn't older than 20s and may be from the early teens.

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I do think it looks like fur but not hudson seal. Is that an open French hem along the bottom Sarah? Take a look in there if so and if there is skin backing spread the fur side out for me if you can. Brush that fur flat for me so I can see if that fur has still has that wave and show me some well lit photos like you did when doing the close ups if you can. I know that happened because you were doing close ups.

Also can you push the fur or fibers against the grain? What does it feel like when you do that?

Sarah Hudgins likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It reminds me of mole fur, Caryn, will definitely be able to help you out.

6. My first thought was '30s too but it does have some 'teens styling with that collar and button detailing. Also I suspect it was longer originally. The way the lining is gathered up around the hem suggests that it flowed outwards. Lovely piece. Can you tell the lining fabric? That might help.

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

8. Sarah Hudgins

Thank you Barbara! It's definitely velvet, I checked the underside.

9. Sarah Hudgins

Hi Mary Jane! Thanks! Definitely velvet. I looked at the underside. I know, I was leaning toward teens as well, but the lining is silk, and near pristine. Wouldn't it be shattered by now, if it were Edwardian? So then it makes me think 30s.

10. Sarah Hudgins

Hi Nicole! Thanks! The lining is silk. So now I am thinking definitely 30s instead of Edwardian.

11. Silk shattering is caused by adding mineral salts to the material, to make it heavier in a time when silk was sold by weight. So not all silks are affected: usually satins and taffetas (which make nice rustling sounds) and even then the better quality silks weren't affected. Lining silks are lighter and weren't affected by these practices and so don't usually shatter. They can be affected by other age and storage related issues though, like dry rot, mildew and mould. I've written some blog pieces on these issues if you'd like to know more.

You're right though: many Edwardian silk linings deteriorate, but so do those from the '30s.

I vote '30s for this lovely piece. Here's a pic of one of my (now sold) opera coats, which has a similar shape ct1306-01.jpg . I still believe that yours was likely shortened.

12. Sarah Hudgins

Dang! That's beautiful! Hmmmm I wish I could figure out if it was shortened...the craftsmanship is so beautiful though, so it makes it hard to tell if it's original or not. Yeah the Edwardian pieces I've had, all had kind of messed up lining, that's why I say that. Thank you for your bottomless well of knowledge Nicole!!

peaceful vintage likes this.
  13. peaceful vintage

I have searched and searched and that collar is one that I saw over and over in the early 30s, actually 1930, 31, and I saw kimono jackets/coats too.

I did not see any that were elasticized and I looked A LOT so I would really guess that it was either just elasticized or shortened and elasticized.

Did you check the backing from the bottom? I don't think it would be worth it to check if not but if that bottom were open you might possibly be able to identify whether it was altered from the inside along the hem. Again, if you did not open that area I don't think it would be worth it to even try to figure it out.

14. You're welcome Sarah: I wish I hadn't sold that coat, it was special. I do have several '30s velvet opera coats though, sufficient to make most people happy but that one was special.

Have a look at the stitches holding the hem down: it is the same thread as the rest of the stitching? Are the stitches similar in size and style to the rest (eg sleeve cuffs). The thread should be pure cotton if it's original with no synthetic component. If there is, it's post '50s.

15. Sarah Hudgins

No, I haven't opened up the bottom. The way I checked the underside is because some of the lining came loose in the cuff of the sleeve. Nothing is elasticized though. Yes, I was thinking early 30's for sure. Thank you for looking for me!

16. Sarah Hudgins

Thank you for those clues Nicole! So the stitching and thread is the same. Although, under close inspection, I did find something interesting. I found a remaining single small snap on the outer waist. This makes me think there was another piece that was once attached to it, that did make it longer.

17. peaceful vintage

That could be possible but it could also be possible that it was a bit longer, wrapped around the waist and snapped or had a belt that snapped making it fitted.

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 9.47.17 PM.png

18. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

If it is dedinitely not fur, then the fabric would be a faux fur, but not a velvet. That long pile fabric was often called simply "plush" and was usually made of silk or rayon (or a blend of the 2). It is really an attractive garment.

19. Vliys

Vliys Registered Guest

It looks retro, cool

20. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Lord that is lovely, Nicole