1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: dark water stains 30s 40s silk dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cloudsofviolet, Sep 18, 2020.

1. cloudsofviolet

cloudsofviolet Registered Guest

hi,

So I was testing a 30s 40s silk garment and accidentally got water stains on it. Tried blotting with a clean white cloth and rubbing the edges of the stain but it has not worked

The stain is dried and it is dried darker than the fabric. What to do?!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

We have all made errors in working with our vintage - it’s a heartsick feeling.

I don’t think there are any easy or low risk options at this point. If it were mine, I would be considering two options:
    • taking up the hem enough to get the watermark out of sight, or
    • Getting the whole garment wet and then watching it like a hawk during drying to make sure the moisture dissipated evenly.
    Hopefully some one else will be along with a trick I don’t know.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  3. cloudsofviolet

I think i might take it for a dry clean. Do you know if dry cleaning sets stains? I can't figure out how else to wash it as it dries darker than original color

4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

If it were mine, I would wash it and just like Maggie said watch it like a hawk. I have also used the hairdryer to try to dry it very quickly while wiping it with a towel continuously so it would dry uniformly

MagsRags likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Maggie. Unless you have an amazing dry cleaner that you can really trust, they are few and far between in the last few years, I would not risk dry cleaning.

MagsRags likes this.
  6. cloudsofviolet

Thank you. I will try w/ some other garments. This one is supposed to be good w/ vintage garments and apparently a art deco society member

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Dry cleaning won't help - you have to use the same medium to remove the stain as put it in, so water will be your only help. What's the faric - rayon - wool - silk? Old rayon, as long as it's not crepe can wash very successfully.

MagsRags likes this.
  8. cloudsofviolet

Silk. I will try a quick wash