1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Date a Photo based on Fashion and Purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tom Thacher, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Tom Thacher

Tom Thacher Registered Guest

I am hoping users here might be able to date this photo based on the clothing, hats, or even the purse on the table. I know that it is from sometime between 1880 and 1920 in the Adirondacks of New York during a recreational outing, but I really would like to narrow the date to at least the correct decade. Thank you for any help you can offer.

GHT2  and wife Emma at Birch Point or Thacher Island.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2020
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What a wonderful photo. The women's clothing is little difficult to determine, as the 2 women are seated and are bundled up. The hats are hard for me to determine also, one is covered with a scarf and other is a little odd looking, perhaps a sporty style. I cannot see their shoes. The woman standing gives us a few clues. I would definitely place it in the 20th century, perhaps 'Teens era but possibly a little earlier.

Lets see what others think.

Tom Thacher likes this.
  3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i tried to lighten it a little bit to show detail better, but it doesn't seem to help much. it IS a great image, though, Tom.

Birch Point or Thacher Island.jpg

4. I see 1910s also

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

That bag looks deep, almost like a miniature doctor's satchel. I rarely have access to anything pre-1930s, so don't know if that offers any sort of clue.

6. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The more I look at this, the more I think it is WWI era. 1917 ish.