1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a 50s / 60s (?) dress with RIES zipper

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by AuroraNox, Jan 17, 2021.

1. AuroraNox

AuroraNox Registered Guest

Hi All,

I recently came across a dress and I'm trying to date it. There's a size label - 38 (although in modern sizes it's definitely a small 36 EU) and no other labels. There's overlock, but I would call it "simple". Bottom hem hand stitched. There's no fabric label, but it's a rather stiff cotton.

Model in the picture is 171 cm tall (5'7).

My guess is late 50s / early 60s but I'm really not sure. What's annoying me the most is that I have trouble finding pictures of vintage RIES zippers and those I found look nothing like mine...

Thank you for any help!

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

The colors remind me more 0f the 1960's as does the length, although it appears to have been shortened.
    Marian

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Cute dress! I agree with Marian about the colorway suggesting 60s. I think you're right about early 60s,think Hairspray era - before the youth quake that brought us Mod and minidresses and Twiggy.

Ries appears to be a German company, which fits with the European size tag.

4. AuroraNox

AuroraNox Registered Guest

Thank you both! I was thinking the same about the colours - the brown and green combo.

This wouldn't be the first 50s this length on me, though - and the waistline hits a bit too high too, so I'm guessing it was meant for someone a bit shorter.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree - sizewise, 1950s size 38 would in my experience be even smaller, so I think early 60s looks good. There was a shift in sizes somewhere...

MagsRags likes this.