1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a "Coach and Four" dress and jacket (?) set with fur hem

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tamzzyn, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

I tried to search for this label but wasn't very successful. The dress also has a label that says "Designed by Helga Berg". Could anyone give me an idea of when this set dates from? The jacket (?) has no sleeves and a fur-hemmed tail. The zipper is nylon. There are clips which I imagine are bra strap carriers. Could I also get help in identifying the fur? It's so soft and thick. The whole set is in absolutely beautiful condition. Thanks!

20170729_140632.jpg 20170729_140920.jpg 20170729_140748.jpg 20170729_141008.jpg 20170731_223035.jpg 20170731_223107.jpg 20170731_223120.jpg 20170729_140941.jpg

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I believe Coach and Four was a department store.

Tamzzyn likes this.
  3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I see a 60s sheath dress and jacket that was influenced by the space age. The fur is fox fur.

Tamzzyn likes this.
  4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is a 1963 advertisement for Coach & Four. Kindly note: This is presented for educational purposes only and should not be reproduced in any sale site or anywhere else. Thank you.

IMG_7504.jpg

Tamzzyn likes this.
  5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

This 1966 ad doesn't tell us much about Helga Berg, but she seems to have worked out of California.

IMG_7505.jpg

Tamzzyn likes this.
  6. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Thank you so much all for your help. It's really interesting being able to learn about the department store and the designer herself :)

peaceful vintage likes this.
  7. Lorraine Hall

Lorraine Hall Registered Guest

I knew Helga Berg well. Before she was a fashion designer, she was a costume designer for the German film industry when Hitler was in power. She married an American and came to California after the war. Through she knew many people in Hollywood, they would not hire her, for she worked under the Nazi regime. She then began a career as a fashion designer in California. She was a modernist, inspired by architecture, and her dresses reflected simple, but dramatic geometric lines, often in high quality wool. She was very successful in the early sixties, and kept designing in the 70s. That would explain the nylon zipper. She had fascinating stories, was very inspiring, and a dear friend of mine.

8. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

That's wonderful information. Thank you for sharing about your friend. That gives us great insight and it's always wonderful when someone who knows a designer finds us and is gracious enough to share about them with us.

9. Lorraine Hall

Lorraine Hall Registered Guest

Your welcome, I am grateful to find this site, for I have a vintage clothing business and years of fashion exposure from being a graphic designer for the fashion industry for decades. Sometimes I too have a difficult time determining the age, or have questions about how to restore something, so I appreciate this forum.

10. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Thank you so much for sharing :)