1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dating a dress and jacket set

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by maltby, Dec 29, 2017.

1. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

IMG_5313.JPG rsz_img_5311.jpg rsz_img_5312.jpg rsz_img_5313.jpg rsz_img_5314.jpg rsz_img_5315.jpg handmade with no closures except the red buttons on the jacket/shirt

the dress has poof shoulders and an empire seamed waist with some flat pleats in the front of the skirt

the top has short cuffed sleeves and the red button front

there is a matching belt that is just a tie in the same fabric

the fabric is shiny sort of rustling semi-iridescent - I always see this kind of fabric but don't know how to define it so help there would also be appreciated!

thanks and happy new year to all

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Looks early-mid 70s doing a 40s retro look, c. 1973-75

3. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

thanks very much, what gives it away as 70s does 40s as opposed to 40s? Just for my own education!

4. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Hi! I am no expert, but to my eye (and photos can be deceiving, so..) the lace trim looks newer and would tip me off to this set not being as old as 40's.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The hem looks too short to me for 40s, and I have never seen a 40s day dress with lace trimmed sleeves before, the red plastic buttons are not impossible for the 40s, but unusual - I would have expected black or white or clear lucite buttons for the 40s. The material it is made from looks synthetic - some kind of acetate taffeta? perhaps - a fabric that is not common until after the war, and the tie belt is very 70s too. 40s belts would have buckles or snaps for a neat closure, not tied. I can see this with big clunky red or black patent platforms, nude pantyhose, and long, straight hair, or one of those short perms...

6. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

awesome, thank you! now I want to get some clunky red platforms and wear it to work a few times before putting it up for sale ;)

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

OK, I had the almost exact same dress, the same print, same colors, and very similar style, only mine was a rayon crepe and not shiny material, and had smocking at the bosom. Bought it in 1973 at J.C. Penny or Sterns. And Jonathan must have seen me back in the day wearing it as he perfectly described my outfit. I wore the dress (no jacket) with super sky high, chunky candy apple red platform heels, (glazed apple red wood bottoms and red leather uppers), nude stockings or no stockings, and long straight hair. And big red plastic button earrings.

When I saw your post I was excited to see what looked like my dress!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    carla rey and Robin of Frocksley like this.
  8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It was actually a short-lived look - I liked it at the time - perfected by Rhoda Morganstern and early Better Midler. It disappeared with Disco and the Bicentennial...

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

And the Pointer Sisters!

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

LOL - STEAM HEAT!

11. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

love it!! except now I really want to keep it! thanks everyone!!