1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating a Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by mon, Jul 24, 2010.

1. mon

mon Registered Guest

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can please help me date this gorgeous dress. I believe it to be 1940s or 1950s but there's no label to help me narrow it down further. It has a small metal side zipper and has small (belt type) loops with metal press studs on the inside shoulder seams - am puzzled as to what these are for?

As there's no label I have no idea how to clean or take care of this garment so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. mon

mon Registered Guest

Another image

3. mon

mon Registered Guest

A close up

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Very pretty dress! It looks 50s to me. Can't tell what the fabric might be from the photos, but I would definitely NOT wash this. If it needs cleaning, I'd send it off to be dry cleaned.

The little loops with snaps at the shoulder seams are to keep your slip (and/or bra) straps from sliding out from under the dress shoulders, to be seen. These are one of the little "quirks" of vintage clothing that I adore. It took more time and more meticulous workmanship to add these to a garment. Of course, they don't, for the most part, make this wonderful little detail nowadays--and it seems the more of your underwear that peeks out from your clothing, the better.

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Anne - I can't tell what the fabric is either but it doesn't washable so you will have to get it dry-cleaned if it needs it.

It looks early '60's to me. Very pretty!

Linn

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

it is hard to tell, but it looks like a brocade or damask. And I concur with 50s and dryclean

Hollis

7. mon

mon Registered Guest

Thanks

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your replies, all really helpful. I was told it was 40s but am in agreement with 50s/60s.

I couldn't put my finger on the fabric due to lack of label & knowledge but you've pointed me in the right direction - I think it is damask. The bra strap loops make perfect sense - what a lovely (and practical) touch.

Definitely bound for the dry cleaners!

Thanks again

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

It is definitely not damask, it is a type of brocade, with what appear to be "embroidered" design as well. There is a specific name for this type of brocade which escapes me at the moment.

Barbara

9. Linn

Mon-

Do you think you could get a larger closer, "close-up" picture of the fabric and a shot of it from the back? That might help us tell you what the weave is.

Thanks,

Linn

10. mon

mon Registered Guest

Close Up

Ok, here's as close as I can get.
    Let me know if you still need another shot from the back or any more info.

Monika

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

12. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Would this be considered a Matelassé? I really don't know, and am taking a guess in order to learn as well. Very pretty dress. :)

13. Linn

I agree with Hollis that it's a brocade. Thanks for posting the closer, close-up.

Linn

14. mon

mon Registered Guest

Thanks

Ok ladies, thanks for all the help.

Monika

15. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Lingerie straps... that is what the crochet loop 'n snap things are called.

In the 80s I was head of alterations in a high end dress shop and the owner insisted we put lingerie straps in every dress that came in since most makers were no longer doing them. I remember Adele Simpson was a last hold out for these types of dressmaker details in ready to wear clothing. Her dresses still had lots of hand finishing and they always has lingerie straps.

Melody

16. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Melody, believe it or not... I bought a Nine West summer dress on my trip last month, and it actually has lingerie straps! I am used to these also only from vintage garments, so I was more than just suprised :lol:.

Karin

17. Definately looks 50s to me! Its gorgeous!

18. Definately looks 50s to me! Its gorgeous!

19. bycin

bycin Guest

Sorry to disagree with many here, but it's probably early 60s and going no later than 1964 or so. My mom and her friends wore this style a lot, the brocade too, during the Kennedy era.

20. Yeah it is between the late 50s and early 60s.... but now I have to pipe in!

I am going more on the late 50s end, why... the waist line is a tad lower than most 60s dresses... also the skirt is a little fuller than 60s. this is deffinately a "transition" piece between the eras. Lastly, the side metal zipper, is not common in 60s. I cant say its not there, but I have yet to see it in person. so I am sticking with late 50s

I think you could be safe to describe it as a cupser though.... something that sits right around a new decade like 1959-60.

please correct me if I am wrong, been a while! :)