Help dating a dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion Q & A' started by Pinkie, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Pinkie

Pinkie Registered Guest

Hi all, I am having trouble dating this dress. I'm wanting to say 1930s because it sure looks like it. Its solid black velvet I think and has a metal side zipper. It has roughed sleeves and a beautiful neck line. The matching belts closure smells like some kind of metal but its awfully light weight. It has no label. Do you think it's 1930s or just made to look like it?
    KIMG0593.JPG KIMG0596.JPG KIMG0595.JPG KIMG0594.JPG KIMG0604.JPG KIMG0603.JPG KIMG0598.JPG KIMG0593.JPG KIMG0596.JPG KIMG0595.JPG KIMG0594.JPG KIMG0604.JPG KIMG0603.JPG KIMG0598.JPG

2. Circa Vintage

Circa Vintage Trade Member

Hi Pinkie, and welcome to the forums. Lovely frock. It looks like a late '30s, perhaps early '40s silk (or rayon) velvet dinner dress.

The side zip and the buckle might be replacements for missing originals. The zip looks more '40s.

The sleeves don't look rough at all! You could call the ruched though!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Pinkie likes this.
  3. Pinkie

Pinkie Registered Guest

Thank you! Oops I ment to say ruched. Its in near mint condition too.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

It's lovely and I see late 30s in this one. My all-time favorite vintage velvet dress has sleeves very much like this one only they were long, I had to get them altered to shorter ones as the seams opened up too much below the elbow, the cut was so narrow.

Pinkie likes this.