1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Feb 12, 2018.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I'm not sure what this material is. There are no labels but that yellow one that was pinned on. It looks hand made in places, especially since someone was meticulous enough to use color coordinated thread along the zipper in 3 colors. Can't say I've ever seen that. lol It's got a small hook and eye closure in the back, a metal zipper along the side and the cuffs have snaps. It's knee length with a rather swishy skirt. Any idea as to how old? Thanks very much!

IMG_8107.JPG IMG_8108.JPG IMG_8109.JPG IMG_8110.JPG IMG_8111.JPG IMG_8112.JPG IMG_8113.JPG IMG_8114.JPG IMG_8115.JPG IMG_8116.JPG IMG_8118.JPG

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The yellow label is a dry-cleaner's label. The dress looks mid-60's to me but see what others think. The fabric looks like it might be light weight wool in your photos. Cute find!

3. Hard to tell without feeling it but it looks about 1940ish to me.

4. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I see 60s, but I see 40s too. That RWB color theme is very WWII era.

5. dorkbait

dorkbait Registered Guest

The side zip makes me lean towards 40s rather than 60s, as I think if it were a 60s piece it would more likely have a center back zipper. Hard to tell without knowing what the material is, however - it could also be a piece made in the 60s from a 40s pattern. It's VERY cute.

6. I see '40s too, and what looks like shoulder pads.

Agree on home made with dry cleaner tag and wool. I've seen early '60s dresses with side zips but they're rare.

7. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

LOL. I was about to ask about the shoulder pads, but then I saw Nicole did! I def see shoulder pads, don't I?

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I see a 1940s wool dress. Lovely dress. Nice to see it survived without moth holes, this kind of wool does seem to attract them.

9. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you all very much. I am so pleased to have found it. I don't know if it makes a difference but it doesn't have shoulder pads. The shoulders are pleated to where it looks like shoulder pads. It's very tiny. I'm a beanpole and I could just make it into this dress, though getting back out of it was another story and it involved a lot of contortions and pulling by one of my kids and a whole lot of laughter. I think I'll let the dress form model this one. lol

10. Linn

Could you take a picture of it on your dress form? Also would you show aa close up the zipper pull - although if it's home made, the zipper could have been around awhile. I am still not sure of it's age and would like to see what it looks like "on."

Thanks!

11. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Unfortunately it doesn't fit on my dress form. I will see about trying it on over the weekend where I know one of my daughters will be able to help rescue me out of it. lol

12. acceber

acceber VFG Member

13. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I'm going with 1960's. The curved waistband 'tab' with button in the centre (and the 'faux' belt look) is something I've had on commercially made 1960's dresses before. I think it may be for a younger girl.
    The crazy swopping of thread colours around the zip is something I'd do! Perfectionists...

acceber likes this.
  14. Linn

I am sticking with my 1960's dating, too. The lines of the dress do not look 1940's to me. While the side zipper is unusual, it appears that the dress was made by a very talented (and perfectionistic) seamstress. A '40's dress would have shoulder pads or if were early '40's it would have a puffy shoulder. The lines, the length and the waistband - make me feel it's '60's.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    acceber likes this.
  15. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! I thought it looked like the 40s til I saw the pics my daughter took. I don't think it looks 40s either. I agree also that I think this is a young person's dress. I just barely squeezed into it and it looks ridiculous. lol

16. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

acceber likes this.
  17. acceber

acceber VFG Member

That's awesome. Thank you for sharing that!

18. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I see 1960s as well. With that center back button detail/faux belt closure, the maker would have avoided breaking it with a center back zipper. So the side zip makes sense from a design viewpoint.

acceber likes this.
  19. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think its early 70s does wartime 40s. YSL did his wartime Paris inspired show in 71, and I think this is part of that 40s revival trend of the early 70s. I see it with a chunky bead and bobble earring set, and platform sling backs...I think its also home made, so that doesn't help to give better clues to its date of construction.
    af6d8f63cf54dd7499906ff8314387d9--seventies-fashion-s-fashion.jpg B8hj9OkIYAARdYj.jpg

Nansk, northstarvintage and acceber like this.
  20. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I had to come back and post updated pictures since I was able to get this dress on a dress form. I don't expect it to change the dating of it. I'm just being meticulous. lol

IMG_9817.JPG IMG_9819.JPG