1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Oct 9, 2018.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I found this dress in the costume section of a local thrift store. I bought it because it has every feature I usually see in a 50s dress except the zipper. All the seams are pinked. There is interfacing in the collar area. The chest has darts. It’s extremely well made. The material is the same satin-like fabric in a 50s skirt I have, and it also shares an exact same red tulle underneath. The zipper is nylon and says “Benton” on the metal tab. I wonder if it is a very well made 50s costume dress made in the 60s or 70s, or if it’s genuine 50s but the zipper was replaced. I do think it was professionally made but there isn’t a sign of a tag anywhere. Thanks for your help!

2624E3A4-8AC2-4544-A5E6-865096D438AF.jpeg 35972972-8400-494C-8298-BAA0957B4A28.jpeg

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

This looks like a square dance dress. I guess you could call it a type of costume. It could have been made in the 1960's up till today.
    Marian

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree it looks like a square dance dress or parade type costume. I do not think it is much older than 1970 and could be newer. Looks home made.

4. Agree with Marian and Barbara, and would like to add the cut of the bodice, with the very high darts, high neckline and small chest suggests it's for a child not a woman, but measurements will confirm this.

The bow on the back waist was a popular embellishment in the late '80s so it could be from then. Taffeta was also very popular in late '80s event wear.

5. acceber

acceber VFG Member

It fits my wolf dress form very well so that would make it a modern size 5 women’s and the fabric is some kind of acetate. I do agree on the type of dress. It certainly would explain the sequins. The little bows are held on by very small rusted looking safety pins.

6. Safety pins? Shudder. I wish people wouldn't do that to dresses.

I agree: it looks like an acetate taffeta (acetate is the fibre, taffeta is the weave. Both terms get used as 'fabric').

7. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Thank you, Nicole, for your clear explanation of fabric. Unless we're talking about linen, it takes 2 words to identify fabric. It is not JUST taffeta, it is taffeta made from acetate, thus acetate taffeta.
    Marian