1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a lawrence of london silk coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Caleb Phillips, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Caleb Phillips

Caleb Phillips Registered Guest

Hello! I have another one for yall. I was hoping you could help me date this hooded silk raincoat. I believe it is from the 50s but maybe could also be from the 60s? What do yall think? Thanks! 20210421-DSC_0482.jpg 20210421-DSC_0526.jpg

GemGem likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Great color on the coat. It looks 1980s to me. The way the sleeves are hemmed and the general construction do not say 1950s or 1960s to me. Can you show a close up of the hem on the sleeves and the bottom hem also? And show us the label? Is it lined?

Caleb Phillips likes this.
  3. Moonchild

Moonchild Registered Guest

It's gorgeous! Can you show close ups of the bottom hem and maybe more close ups of the sowing in general?

I would say it's closer to 80's than 50's or 60's. The color is very neon, which I believe wasn't a huge thing back then. The silhouette of the coat is also a bit more 80's if you ask me!

Caleb Phillips likes this.
  4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Yes 1980s
    I think this is it (or one very close to it) in an ad from April 1982. Note how it says this is a 1982 silk version of the 1947 taffeta original
    EAF7772C-3445-4ADB-BBDA-7E31A9C15524.jpeg

5. Vintagiality

Also, the trademark was registered in 1976 and active until 1982
    1A3AA8FF-A7E9-4236-BD01-3D4CC157BE48.jpeg

6. Caleb Phillips

Oh my god incredible!! That is so cool, thank you for sharing the documentation!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  7. Caleb Phillips

8. Vintagiality

There are a number of ads from the 60s. They seem to have existed prior to the registration of their trademark but I believe yours has the R symbol.

GemGem likes this.
  9. Caleb Phillips

It does!! You are amazing! Thank you so much for your insight :)