1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a linen dress with floral and rhinestones appliques

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LousyLoversVintage, Apr 28, 2022.

1. LousyLoversVintage

LousyLoversVintage Registered Guest

The material is linen cotton. Glass rhinestones. Metal Roxy center zip
    Pinked seams. Definitely homemade

The darting on this dress isn't like alot of the 50s dresses I've seen . It seems very baggy in the midsection .
    So I first thought 50s then I went to 40s then to 60s lol.

Please help

Attached Files:

2. poisson_rouge

poisson_rouge Registered Guest

The shape and necklines have me thinking it's probably 90s. You might try searching for the sewing pattern online -- I've been able to date a few homespuns that way.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. LousyLoversVintage

The fabric and sewing of the dress just seem too old to be 90s and even the way the rhinestones are attached.
    If you could see it in person you would understand the metal zipper and seams

4. poisson_rouge

poisson_rouge Registered Guest

Could you post pictures of the seams and some of the details you mentioned? I don't see 40s, since it has a handful of elements that would be uncommon for the time, and the machine-made applique daisies definitely feel more recent. 60s I don't really see either, because the neckline would likely be higher and/or more geometric and a 60s shift dress would more likely be straight sided or slightly flared at the bottom. If it's a handmade, it could be a 50s/60s wiggle dress that was form-fitting on the person it was made for, though usually there's still a seam or some accentuation at the waist.

Without seeing the inside of the dress or fabric irl, I'm still thinking a later creation using dead stock notions feels likely.

LousyLoversVintage likes this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Those daisies with rhinestone centers covering the bosom were very popular in the 1950s, if that helps. I have had several 1950s dresses similar, although with a more slender line.

6. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Barbara jogged my memory. Yes, it feels 1950's to me, made to fit a particular person.
    Marian

7. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hmm. The dresses I have had with these types of flowers, I have always thought to be 60s. Here is one I had not too long ago
    8AF97C43-5EB1-4319-892A-31E836D69862.jpeg F0C5AAE5-2078-46A7-A008-BA291C8EB646.jpeg 5B7B224E-DF13-42A3-8576-39081FC06B54.jpeg

8. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

I agree with 50's-60's on this one. I've seen several from that time period with those sorts of flowers and rhinestone details. Also, the shape and neckline are not so unusual as to knock it out of that period, IMO.

9. CatsLikeUs

CatsLikeUs VFG Member

10. LousyLoversVintage

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I recently found another dress similar with the daisies from the 50s 60s. A Jerry Gilden. I definitely believe and would bet money this was made at home by someone. It has pinked seams . Also that type of long front curved seam was common in the 50s metal zip. The error on one of the flowers where they missed the middle. Lol I have patterns that match the seam design . I think the person just made it specifically to match their measurements bigger in waist and hips.
    Smaller Bust
    I would most likely put it in late 50s earlier 60s Category. It is no longer in my possession. Oh but did I have a time with those flowers. They would unravel! And the stain i chased wow. Finally got it together though. It seems like it May have been like a bark cloth as well