1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a mystery dress.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Marcelle, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Marcelle

Marcelle Registered Guest

Hello,

I recently found this black dress and need help dating it. My initial thought was 1940s.

-The fabric is a fairly thick synthetic that has a lot of sheen.
    -The zipper is a Talon - works very smoothly and is quite sturdy.
    -There are Kleinert's dress shields sewn in that contain a granular substance. I know that these were invented before deodorant to protect and deodorize.
    - It is lined and it looks like there is some hand stitching.
    -Made in the US

Any information is greatly appreciated!
    IMG_4902.jpg IMG_4903.jpg IMG_4905.jpg IMG_4911.jpg IMG_4912.jpg IMG_4914.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Marcelle

I would still love some help with this one :)

3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

You may have it on backwards. Are there bust darts?
    Marian

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I wondered if it might be on backwards, too, when I looked at the last photo. It looks like the zipper is right below the bow. Your last photo looks like the fabric is a type of satin. I think it is early 1950s.

Kleinert's is still in business and started making dress shields in the late 19C. so that doesn't help!

Sorry we all missed this when you posted it earlier. Look forward to seeing it on the other way - if that works!

5. Marcelle

Oh my, it never occurred to me that it would be backwards... of course, that does make sense given the placement of the zipper. I will put it back on the dress form later today and post a photo.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is lovely. I agree with Linn that it is on backwards. Looks like it may be a silk or rayon taffeta, difficult to say without having it in hand. I see early 50s as well.

Marcelle likes this.
  7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Hi there. I'd love to weigh in when it's photographed correctly - zipper in back. I believe it might be late 1950s to VERY early 1960s a la Mad Men's Joan.

Marcelle likes this.
  8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think its on the mannequin correctly. I know the back looks a bit blousy, but I think its just too big for the mannequin, its a busty style. The peplum is countoured up at the front, that would look strange if it were at the back, and there are vertical bust darts... The skirt looks to have been shortened at some point, judging by the visible mark on the hem turn-up. I think its a matronly woman's dress from the early/mid 50s, which explains the larger bust size too.

Marcelle likes this.
  9. Marcelle

It's taken me a while to come back to this one! Here it is on another mannequin with the zipper in the back.

Attached Files:

10. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Yes, an elegant 1950's.
    Marian

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

12. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

I agree it's 1950s. If it is not satin from the original photos I believe its Glazed Chintz or Sateen. Hard to tell from photos alone. It's a beauty! Thanks for sharing!

13. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

So it was on backwards!