1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a skirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sheila Dawson, May 15, 2016.

1. Sheila Dawson

Sheila Dawson Registered Guest

I think this may have been made in the 50's, but the fabric appears to be 30's or 40's type "bark cloth", or maybe curtains. It's hand sewn and finished with sequins on some of the roses, it was pieced together, and very nicely done, with the foliage matching along the seams. It has a metal Talon zipper, and metal hooks to close on the side seam. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would suggest it was made up later -possibly 70s/80s (more likely the latter given the 1950s revival in styles) because I've seen that grippy waistband material in men's trousers of that period (although it is an entirely universal product you could probably buy from a haberdashery shop at that time).

3. I think it's older.

4. Sheila Dawson

Sheila Dawson Registered Guest

I agree that the skirt is probably older, being from the Baby Boomer gen. I do remember the 1980's/50's fashion, it was a more inspired type of clothing. Although this particular skirt was machine stitched, the hem and sequins were sewn entirely by hand, not saying that wasn't done in the 80's, but to save cost and time, those details were usually machine stitched. The type and weight of the fabric feels and looks vintage, not like a replica, which was much thinner, and not so refined. The zipper is a metal Talon zipper, not likely used in the 80's since plastic and nylon were readily available, and more likely than not, were used instead of metal ones. I did a close up of the stitching to show the amount of time it took to finish this skirt.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      120.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      97.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG