1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a vintage label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Jennifer Avenido, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Jennifer Avenido

Jennifer Avenido Registered Guest

Hello! Does anyone have any information on Helga Couture? The lining looks and feels like rayon. I have searched everywhere. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Hi Jennifer, and welcome to the forums. If you can post photos of the garment we can help to date. There are thousands of labels around the world and many have little information but if we can narrow it down to an era and a country it helps narrow the search.

Are there any other labels too? Legislation requires certain types of labels after particular dates, so a lack of other labels can suggest a smaller dressmaker or even a home sewer. For example, your label looks like it could be a small company or individual or even home made. More information will help. Thank you.

3. Jennifer Avenido

I have attached a photo below. This is the only label in the entire jacket. Thank you!

Attached Files:

4. Is the label printed or woven? Please post photos of the garment is you’d like help with dating it. Thank you.

5. Jennifer Avenido

AA950EE3-732D-45AF-AA5B-DC63A3097E1E.jpg 0D7B31F0-2017-4C0E-B6A0-AA247373D2AC.jpg A0610985-3A80-4586-B399-C71FB098E6C9.jpg
    Hi! Thank you so much for trying to help me. This is so awesome of you! I am posting pictures. Have you gotten any of them? I've uploaded files. I now see that I was uploading pictures wrong. Sorry! This is my first thread so I'm trying to learn how this works. It appears to be woven because if I flip over the label there is thread going through to the other side Here are some more photos...

6. You're right: it's a woven label. If you're having trouble loading images, you can find information here.

Google tells me that the designer is Icelander Helga Bjornsson, and during the '70s-90s she was the head haute couture designer for the house of Louis Feraud. So your garment perhaps predates or post dates this? If you still want help dating the garment, please post photos. The labels are not sufficient, although as I mentioned, the lack of other labels suggests it's most likely pre-LF. I found a set online with a similar label, and it looks late '60s-early '70s. From the little I can see of your garment, it appears to be '70s. If you google her name you will find out more about her.

7. Jennifer Avenido

You're amazing! Thank you very much!!!!!!!

8. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I didn't know that Helga had worked for Feraud.

MaryLou Luther told me in the 80s that Helga attended couture collections for ideas which she used for her designs. I don't remember her saying that she worked in LA, but I assumed that she did. The one Helga garment I have is demi-couture.

9. Jennifer Avenido

Awesome! Thank you so much for this information!!! I really appreciate it!