1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America men's jacket please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nansk, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

Hello All, I have picked up this jacket in a local charity shop. The only label appears to be the one pictured below (apologies for poor clarity) which is one that I am totally unfamiliar with but I have googled it and discovered is an Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America label from 1949 - 1962. Although this is a good starting point I'd like to try and pin the date down a bit more as I am going to list it (it is too small for the intended recipient) and would like to be as accurate as possible. I would guesstimate around 1959/60 but I'm not sure so would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

IMG_1691.JPG IMG_1693.JPG

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

With those huge pockets and the ticket pocket on the right side, I'd agree that later rather than earlier in that time span.

Nansk likes this.
  3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I seem to remember--can't remember from where--that the red printing on the end of the label was 1950's. I may be wrong about that, but Hollis's post reminded me
    Marian

Nansk likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

May we see the back of the jacket, please? Those front deep pockets would put it in the catagory of a hacking jacket or shooting jacket style. I might date it to the 1960s, but hard to tell without seeing it on a mannequin or person, seeing the back, and also getting a better shot of the lapels. From the angle of the photo, the dimensions are off. Can you take it shot straight on?

Nansk likes this.
  5. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

I'm away from home at the moment but I'll take a photo when I get back and post it.

6. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

The label identification guide that I used is from a site called "The Steel Zipper"

7. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

Hello again All, here are a few more photos - it is only part lined (which seems a bit strange to me) IMG_1760.JPG IMG_1761.JPG IMG_1763.JPG IMG_1764.JPG

8. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Partial lining is pretty standard for sportcoats of the era.

Nansk likes this.
  9. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

So, it looks like this item is a "Sportscoat" probably dating to the late 1950's/early 1960's? I wonder how these American items came to the UK, maybe an American brought it over with them, or were they imported? I do spend a lot of time (probably too much!) wondering about the past lives of the items I find.