1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating an 1800s bodice

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by wildirish, Aug 24, 2019.

1. wildirish

wildirish Registered Guest

I found this gorgeous under? bodice in a lot from an estate that also included some early 1800s Quaker textiles and am wondering if this falls under that category. It is a beautifully starched, creamy white bodice that is loose & fastens at the neck with a brass hook & eye (eye is circle eye with 2 tiny side circles for attaching). It has amazingly tiny accordion pleating down the front, & a delicate eyelet trim down the front opening. The edges of the raglan puffed sleeves and neck are piped. I cannot ascertain whether it is entirely hand sewn. The stitching is uniform, tiny & straight but some places show that it was definitely hand sewn. The bodice hem edge may be machine sewn with a simple stitch. The sleeve edges are pinned, one under each sleeve, with an exquisitely embossed bar pin (copper?). Thanks for you input!!

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think its actually European folkwear - perhaps Dutch, French, Belgian, German? Something western European where the blouses aren't embroidered and are worn under vests or jackets.

3. wildirish

wildirish Registered Guest

Jonathan, thank you for this insight. I had originally wondered about that, but started in the Quaker direction. I appreciate you taking the time to reply!