1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating and Identifying Vintage Handbag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Beth A Pettis, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Beth A Pettis

Beth A Pettis Registered Guest

I was wondering if anyone could help me with identifying the possible exterior material of this HandBag. The handbag is unbranded and came with what looks to be an accessory for holding makeup. The interior appears to be made of a very soft, suede material. The exterior is very smooth and "cool" to the touch. I was thinking that it could possibly be a type of leather but am not really sure. Any help in identifying or information regarding the period or dating of the handbag would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 20210316_000335.jpg 20210316_000207.jpg 20210315_235907.jpg 20210316_000207.jpg 20210315_235907.jpg 20210316_000734.jpg

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Those are beautiful. They look to be made of Florentine leather. I see late 40s to mid 1950s.

Vinclothes and GemGem like this.
  3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

4. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

The smaller item looks to be a compact, could hold a mirror, some power, maybe blush too, it looks like a slightly larger one so could have also had an extra compartment. Is the exterior of the compact cold or room temperature? I was wondering if it was enamel but can't tell from the photo.

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

that is spectacular, Beth!! congratulations!

GemGem likes this.
  6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree, it's beautiful, and I would like to see what that smaller item looks like inside, and also up close, and what material it is?

GemGem likes this.
  7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Florentine leather, and wooden items also, were very popular in the 1950s. The leather was embossed with a press (hand or machine) and then dyed or painted and hand gilded with gold leaf or gold metallic paint. Hard for me to say if your purse is indeed leather, but I have never come across any fake Florentine leather. It looks like the real thing.

I adore it, wish it were mine!

GemGem and LaurenMG like this.