1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating and Typing Corde/Crochet Purse with Celluloid (?) handle.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Jul 26, 2012.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi Everyone,
    I see similar purses listed as 1930's but want to be a bit more certain.
    No label, just Made in the U.S.A on the inside of the frame.
    Is this considered 'corde' or would you describe this as Crochet?
    Thanks alot,
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

That is a real cutie. Love the frame. I agree with 1930's. I didn't think it was made of cordé until I saw your close-up and the little balls do look like corde. I have a purse that is a very similar design but mine is a crocheted knit in a popcorn stitch.

Linn

3. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks Linn,
    So what distinguishes 'crochet' from 'corde' roughly?

4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Corde is made of gimp sewed in decorative patterns to a cloth background. Gimp is the individual rounded cord of fabric used for decorative purposes. So a purse can be crocheted of rounded cords and thus is a crocheted purse, but the same rounded cords could have been laid in a decorative pattern onto a cloth background and be called corde. Clear, huh? Both were very popular in the 40's and early 50's.
    Marian

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

This is a pretty good example of corde; this one has a Bakelite handle:

[​IMG]

And this is a pretty good example of crocheted popcorn stitch- also with a Celluloid handle.

Blue Popcorn Stitch Crocheted Bag with Celluloid Frame.jpg

When I look at a close-up photo of my bag, it does look very much like yours, so I think yours is crocheted, also.

Linn

6. I agree with crochet, not corde.

7. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks all,
    Mine does look almost identical to yours Linn except mine has the 'corde' ? handle. I'm not sure if you can see it from the photos, but the handle is actually pretty cool, it's crocheted (?) into a squared rope...it actually doesn't show on the photo, it is perfectly smooth and 4 sided with this nifty little cyclindrical thing in the middle of the rope handle. So, would I be accurate on the side of caution to say 50s or 40s?