1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating Antique Coat with Scrollwork and Silk Taffeta Ribbon Trim

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Oct 20, 2021.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Hi - I'd love to find out more information on era / what to call this style of coat?
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on age as well as if there's a name for this type of coat - frock coat?
    Thanks much!
    Brooke

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a wonderful coat. I would like to get a better idea of the sleeves, maybe take a photo with them held away from the coat.

Looks 1906 "ish" to me, could be a little earlier. Let's see what others think.

3. DaisyandStella

Here’s a close-up of hem. I can get a better pic too. The sleeve is gathered at top and is roomy with the silk taffeta trimmed hem. Reminds a little of a bishop sleeve but it’s roomier halfway through. Will take a pic of it pulled aside and send in a bit.

Attached Files:

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am seeing it as Edwardian as well but it is difficult to be sure to be exact about the date year. I wonder it is was meant to be a fancier version of a duster (car coat).

5. DaisyandStella

Mary Jane - I an thinking something similar like a fancy traveling coat.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Is it made of linen, or maybe wool? It is a bit fancy for automobile wear but does have that general style. I do not know if the style has a particular name, maybe a promenade coat?

7. DaisyandStella

Thanks Barbara - I believe it’s silk linen - it’s very fine