1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dating antique coat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jess k, Apr 11, 2021.

1. jess k

jess k Registered Guest

179D991C-7216-41F8-A4E9-8E32C18FF8B0.jpeg 8C9092D4-05FE-4345-AEEE-022A1C507E95.jpeg 6FACBF20-8B3E-476B-9F39-B2BCC1303B69.jpeg F6494998-A0FC-404F-9788-D452E6305268.jpeg 36FC7BE6-817C-423E-A879-4EFB6C3D2DCC.jpeg 10BFB051-1A75-4987-A556-5F00AAED5211.jpeg

hello, vfg community!

i’ve recently acquired this amazing duster-type coat. it feels like silk taffeta and the lining cotton. my “educated” guess is edwardian era-1920’s? is this accurate or could it be earlier? there are two hip pockets and a waist (watch?) pocket. they are made of a woven fabric. shoulders are padded, backside has a subtle bustle. is the lining considered calico fabric? i don’t have any formal fashion education, but i do my best to research things thoroughly, and to the best of my ability. vfg has been a huge help for me over the years and i’m honored to finally be a guest here!

any input is valued and much appreciated!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

this is not my area of expertise, but my goodness, this is gorgeous!! congratulations on a lovely acquisition!

jess k likes this.
  3. jess k

jess k Registered Guest

thank you! a special find, for sure! ☺️

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is lovely, I don't have great expertise in these earlier garments, I agree with your description of a duster sort of coat and it looks to me to be mid teens.

jess k likes this.
  5. jess k

jess k Registered Guest

thank you, mary jane! i’ll look into mid teens era fashion this evening.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It reminds me of something from India or Pakistan, for some reason. It could be an antique men's lounging coat/robe, but the buttons and their placement look wrong to me for that.

It is beautiful.

Does it have weight to it, and is it fully or partially lined?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  7. jess k

jess k Registered Guest

very interesting! would never have thought that. i will definitely have to look more into clothing from that area.

it’s pretty lightweight overall, but the shoulder pads do add a little weight. it is fully lined in a black on white printed cotton, pictured in the original post!